Dead Pixels

Kev.Ifty 23:43 16 May 08

Mrs.Ifty bought me a nice new 20 inch LCD Screen for my birthday. We noticed it had a dead pixel almost right in the centre of the display. Not something that one could ignore easily really.

We considered taking it back to the shop until I read this click here It worked!

Well chuffed.. I thought I'd share it with you!

Cheers Kev.

gpzdave 00:20 17 May 08

My last experience with dead pixels was with PC World when we bought one of their branded screens. It wasn'nt like a dead pixel but more of a scratch inside but showing white light. they changed it for a new one which did have dead pixels, thats when the store manager quoted the pixel clause and said we'd have to live with it. I showed him PC World's online response which I had printed out from email and I was given a new Compaq 19" screen. 100% since we've had it.

Dave

Rob_08 00:55 17 May 08

Hmm i dont know if id rather live with my one blue pixel or risk making 5 of them ,then id be really pi**d lol. Thanks anyway.

i still have mine, smack in the center of my 24" hitachi widescreen, i tried the pressure thing, flashing programs but nothing worked. i contacted the supplier who explained their policy was up to 4 on a 24" screen. but the maker's policy was 9!! so i decided to live with it. i would hate to send it back and receive another with 4. i think samsung have a no dead pixel policy, i may be wrong though.
mine's red so i only see it on start up and shut down.

Rob_08 02:34 17 May 08

Hi adman
I only see my blue one at start up and shutdown to, its tempting to play with it, but i have learnt from past mistakes that if it gets worse then " oh oh" still i guess the flashing programs safrer than pressing them out !!

Rob_08 02:58 17 May 08

You could try this to, no install needed.

click here

johndrew 09:45 17 May 08

A few more suggestions click here

daba 18:27 17 May 08

According to the Sale of Goods Act, "goods must be free from defects, however minor".

In my opinion, manufacturers or retailers cannot hide behind an arbitrary "company policy" just to satisfy their shareholders. If such a dead pisel policy were legal, ALL manufacturers would quote the same "acceptable" level faulty screens.

I would quote the sale of goods act at them, see how they react...

Kev.Ifty 00:16 19 May 08

Sorry to hear your stories about bad pixels which you cannot resolve.

I guess I was lucky. Are we going to start a campaign?

Kev

daba 10:49 25 May 08

Continued research has got me the following advice from a legal advisor, which confirms my beliefs :-

"All contractual terms such as this are subject to the Sale of Goods Acts and as such a dead pixel policy has no effect if the goods are defective. Any patch on the screen noticeable by the ordinary user would render the goods defective."

Please note the term "dead pixel policy has no effect", this means they cannot enforce such a policy in law.

However if the goods are sold as either "defective", "B-Grade", "seconds", etc., and specifically state that the screen may have dead pixels, then they are acting within the law. These should be offered at a reduced cost. It is then clearly up to you to decide whether to buy or not

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now