Dead Pc...any ideas?

paul654 15:06 14 Jul 10

My 6 year old PC seems to have finally given up the ghost. Its a Mesh Matrix 3000+, Asus A7N8X MB,2 GB Ram, Ati Radeon 9800 Pro graphics, Windows XP.
At startup as usual it shows the Windows XP logo then detects the motherboard, indicates the memory frequency then says detecting Ide Drives...it then goes to the ' your computer failed to start' screen giving 4 restart options (3 in safe mode and normal start). Whichever of these options I try exactly the same thing happens. I am in the process of buying a new PC but it would be nice to get my old machine working as a spare. Any ideas ?

james105051 16:48 14 Jul 10

Open up the case and check all IDE and power connections to the hard drive(s). In the recent heatwave PC's get really hot and expansion sometimes makes connections loose.

woodchip 16:59 14 Jul 10

It looks like the Hard Drive may have died

woodchip 17:04 14 Jul 10

If you download a ubunto Live Linux CD create a bootable CD with the Download and set BIOS to boot first from CD, it will boot and you do not need to load it, it can be run from CD and your onboard Memory. After its loaded you may be able to see your Drive With files on it, if you can you will need another USB drive plugged in to get the files of the Drive to the ExUSB drive.

PS you will need to boot with CD and Drive Plugged into USB port for it to work

woodchip 17:04 14 Jul 10

Sorry hears the link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…