Dead PC - won't boot :-(

Ian in Northampton 11:58 AM 18 Nov 12

The electrician just did something that caused the PCs in the house to fall over. Most have come back, but my son's is as dead as a doornail - no sign of power to it. I'm guessing that there's nothing I can do as it's likely a power supply problem (or worse) - but I just thought I'd put out an urgent cry for help, just in case there's something simple/obvious that I'm overlooking, like a fuse... (Yes, I've tried different power cables and different sockets - still no joy).

onthelimit1 12:09 PM 18 Nov 12

Probably the PSU - easy to change and only 20 quid for a basic one.

Ian in Northampton 12:12 PM 18 Nov 12

Thanks OTL. Hopefully, it's no more than that. I'll probably replace it with decent one, as it's a reasonable spec gaming system.

No quick fix today, then... :-(

Jollyjohn 12:20 PM 18 Nov 12

Hi

Don't usually use PC World but this PSU is reasonably priced and they are open on a Sunday. Don't forget Currys is the same store.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/corexstream-ocz-csx500w-uk-atx-psu-500-w-15050623-pdt.html

Taff™ 12:22 PM 18 Nov 12

One final check worth doing. Unplug the kettle lead power cable from the computer. Press and hold the power on button for 45 seconds or so. Now try it again.

Ian in Northampton 13:06 PM 18 Nov 12

Thanks guys. Taff - tried that, didn't work... :-( Is that something to do with clearing the CMOS/resetting the BIOS?

lotvic 13:21 PM 18 Nov 12

When you say 'no sign of any power to it' do you mean the light inside pc on motherboard doesn't come on?

Ian in Northampton 13:39 PM 18 Nov 12

Thanks Jock1e. Yeah, checked the circuits, the outlet, the extension cable. Everything else works - except the PC... Lotvic: nope, no nothing - not even the light on the motherboard.

Conny 16:16 PM 18 Nov 12

What did the electrician do to make them all 'fall over'? Was he PAT testing your appliances by any chance?

lotvic 16:26 PM 18 Nov 12

Just realised - Electrician? on a Sunday?

Taff™ 17:07 PM 18 Nov 12

New PSU may be the answer but I would check it first with another second hand one. In my experience a massive PSU blow out might have wrecked the motherboard, RAM etc. It may of course be a total coincidence that the "electrician" caused it so don't blame him. (Particularly if the computer wasn't on a surge protector - which hasn't been mentioned so far as I am aware.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…