Dead PC!! PSU?

rickf 09:52 02 May 05

HI, My friend's PC was working ok but when he next turned it on, it was as dead as a door nail. No movements at all. I thought it could be the fuse of the 3 pin plug and replaced it with a new correct 5amp.Process of elimination as a first step. On plugging it in, there was a bang from near the PSU. I thing the PSU was probably dead before I replaced the fuse. Any ideas before I go and invest in a new PSU for her.Would appreciate quick replies as it a hol. today and I have some time. THanks.

961 10:01 02 May 05

Faulty PSU sounds a good bet to me.
Don't buy a cheap one, even if it is rated at high wattage
Ensure surge protector plug fitted if there is not one at present

rickf 10:07 02 May 05

Thanks 961. That's what I thought but I wonder if the bang after I replaced the fuse had caused further damage, like the H/D?

961 10:13 02 May 05

If there had been a power surge, such as during a thunderstorm, or electrical supply glitch the fuse could have blown and the psu could have been damaged. Replacing the fuse would perhaps have given the psu the chance to blow altogether

It's not possible to say exactly what happened or what has been damaged without examining the computer

However, since the fuse blew and the bang is said to been "near the psu" I think a fair first step is to try a new psu, especially since they are not too expensive

I don't think I would worry about further damage at this stage

Ensure there is a surge protector

rickf 10:20 02 May 05

Thnaks for the quick response. Will close for time being.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…