dead PC

willhay 09:16 04 May 03

My nephew was recentley d/ling stuff from Kazaa (yes I know), he finished switched the pc off via the on/off button, not the normal way, and and now has a dead pc, iwill start up and go thru to the windows XP log on screen but then the keyboard is dead the mouse is dead. I tried to get into the bios to reformat in case of a virus but you only get 5 seconds of keyboard use from when the BIOS shows and then the keyboard stops, so i cannot get it to switch to floppy or cd boot up. I have timed it and from switch on the keyboard is in use for 10 seconds and then no further use is possible.
Is this a virus, knackered MB, keyboard and mouse work fine on another pc.

powerless 09:25 04 May 03

Keep tapping the F8 key on your keyboard when your computer starts.

If you can choose SAFE MODE and run a virus scan.

Do you have Anti protection? click here and install this from safe mode. You cnnot access the internet from safe mode so you cannot update it (as i'm aware). I do not use AVG myself so if you need help with ask and i'm sure someone will help.

This may pick up a virus. Using Kazza it sounds like you have a virus.
It may also be a coincidence and the keyboard is faulty.

willhay 09:33 04 May 03

I tried what you suggested but after the 10 seconds the mouse and keyboard dont function so I cant get into anything

menorcarob2 12:50 04 May 03

open the case and try to find the bios reset jumper, it will tell you where this is in your motherboard manual

AMD 4 ever 14:56 04 May 03

Clear the CMOS or remove the CMOS Battery for 5 minutes.
This will reset the BIOS to defaults...also see if there is an option to turn of the 'Stop on Virus detction' in the bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…