Dead PC

ngauge 20:58 14 Dec 09

My desktop PC suddenly stopped - for no apparent reason. After checking it over I could find no reason so assumed that the PSU had failed. I replaced it with a new one - no difference.
So reluctantly I ordered a new m/board, installed it and - no difference - although there was a small light on the board indicating that the power was getting through - although the fans were not operating. So what is there left? The CPU? But if that had failed. Surely the fans would have been working? Any ideas?
Norming

grey george 21:08 14 Dec 09

Is there a POST bleep? Does the HDD light flicker?

ngauge 21:13 14 Dec 09

george
No bleep. nothing else connected.

grey george 21:26 14 Dec 09

No bleep suggests a dead mother board is it the same as the first one? Have you searched for failure issues with this board? Do you have a multi meter to check the out put of the psu?

ngauge 21:37 14 Dec 09

It is a brand new m/board (Foxconn). Unfortunately you have to have a load on the PSU to check it's output, but with the light on the m/board I thought that indicated that current was getting through. My "test" was the fans -if they were working I felt I could go further, but no fans - switch off quickly.

grey george 21:53 14 Dec 09

Is the new mother board the same as the old one?
Does it support your old cpu?

ngauge 21:55 14 Dec 09

Yes!

Deekio 23:41 14 Dec 09

Check this out, it solved my problem
click here
Regards.

Deekio 23:49 14 Dec 09

And this even better,click here

Strawballs 09:06 15 Dec 09

Dead memory can cause all sorts of problems, if you have more than 1 stick try them one at a time.

Also try unplugging everything from the motherboard except 1 memory stick and HDD with OS on it and if that works try plugging back in one at a time.

ngauge 14:25 15 Dec 09

Checked PSU as you suggested - good idea, but PSU normal so it 'aint that.
Also checked the memory as suggested - but no joy there either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5