Dead Pc

Old Shep 15:20 15 Nov 04

On friday my PC would not boot up. It turned on ok and got to the first black screen that says 'checking nvram' but will not go past that. Does not read the XP cd,restore cd nor the floppy drive as it does not get that far. Any ideas what has failed please. PS Am on a friends computer at the moment.

Diemmess 15:24 15 Nov 04

Try ither disabling the RAM check in BIOS, OR unplugging all bar one RAM chip and see if you can go further into the Boot process

Diemmess 15:27 15 Nov 04

Sorry, forget my previous............ This is NVRAM so presumably is the RAM on your graphics card.

Have you an alternative graphics card to try as a temporary substitute?

woodchip 15:27 15 Nov 04

Will it read a Startup Floppy. Try a Windows 98se floppy disc click here tenth one down, put a blank floppy in drive and double click the download

Old Shep 15:31 15 Nov 04

Thanks for your responses so far but cannot get into the bios or the floppy as it does not boot that far. I

woodchip 15:33 15 Nov 04
  woodchip 15:33 15 Nov 04
  Old Shep 17:47 16 Nov 04

Many Thanks for your replies,it turned out to be a memory problem - I had 3 sticks and by trial and error found the culprit. Regards to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…