dead pc

donatello 18:00 06 Aug 04

bought HIS radeon 9800 pro uninstalled old GE force FX5600 SE uninstalled all old drivers with driver cleaner reformatted and did clean install of xp loaded all drivers back on then loaded graphics drivers on updated catylst to 4.8 from ATI site updated n force chipset drivers updated direct x to 9c pc kept restarting before welcome screen some one told me do reinstall and remove battery from M/B done this then tried to restart pc just black screen appears with BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR.M/B IS ASUS A7N8X DELUX/ 512 RAM /ATHLON 2800+ CHIP /500 WATT PSU any ideas if this card is compatable with board and how to cure problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 06 Aug 04

Do I understand you are trying to boot without battery on MOBO?

Refit battery boot into BIOS load default settings save and exit.

See if PC will then boot

Dorsai 18:25 06 Aug 04

I had this error once, and it was coz i had made an error delving into and changing the BIOS. restoring 'fail safe defaults' did the trick.

Could you have accidently dislodged a ram stick?

keith-236785 18:39 06 Aug 04

tyr rebooting again, when you get the error message, you should also see it say press DEL or F2 to enter setup. press whatever it tells you to, to enter the bios.

choose safe settings or default or whatever ASUS use. save the settings and reboot the pc, you should then at least be able to get back to windows.

reagarding the graphic card, did you remember to slide the locking tab across on the AGP port after installing the new card, it can make a difference.

if in doubt, remove and replace the graphic card to ensure it is seated properly, try to reboot again and then if it doesnt work, come back and tell us what the error messages are

keith-236785 18:43 06 Aug 04

dont know if you remember but when you install a NVIDIA card, you have to install directx 9 first, then install the card drivers otherwise you will have problems (nvidia's warning, not mine), don't know if ATI is the same.

keith-236785 18:45 06 Aug 04

ps. before doing any of this, follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s advice regarding replacing the battery.

donatello 19:11 06 Aug 04

i did replace the battery before i tried to reboot have not changed any settings in bios all i did was reformat drive take out battery put back in reinstall XP load all drivera update drivers then shut down on restart blank screen with the message given above.have tried reseating card two to three times pressing delete on start up does nothing as does any other keys the normal POST beep sounds longer and flatter.checked memory all ok.did already have direct x 9b on pc.not getting any thing up at boot apart from BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR DETECTING FLOPPY DRIVE A MEDIA INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

keith-236785 21:15 07 Aug 04

dont know if you have sorted anything out yet, have you managed to get back into the bios?

what else does it say on your screen when you get to the

keith-236785 21:20 07 Aug 04

just had a thought....if you have reset the bios by removing the battery, you will (or might) need to enable the hard drives, default i believe is OFF, enter bios and. is it possible you have dislodged a IDE cable when you were checking the graphic card?

check everything inside is secure.

THE TERMINATOR 23:56 07 Aug 04

why didn't you just replace the graphics card and re-boot, or did you want to format the disk anyway....TT

woodchip 00:01 08 Aug 04

But why did you take the battery out as there is no need you have just set the CMOS to default settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…