dead monitor

jimmer409? 17:17 14 Nov 03

all of a sudden out of the clear blue my monitor will not boot up from the stand-by mode i'll explain, running xp, click on start/turn off computer, click standby, computer shuts down, later push power, computer fires up but monitor remains dead, any ideas.

Gongoozler 17:27 14 Nov 03

jimmer409?, this doesn't sound to me like a dead monitor. The monitor doesn't know the difference between your computer coming out of standby and powering up from cold. Monitors usually are switched to standby in the absence of a signal, and if your monitor responds normally to a cold boot, it is probably ok. I think it is more likely that your computer is not fully coming out of standby. Have you tried your monitor on another computer or your computer on another monitor?

jimmer409? 18:54 14 Nov 03

thanks gong, don't have another computer to try the monitor on, how do you cure the problem of not comming out of standby, if this is the problem, and how would you find out??? help from all appreciated.

Gongoozler 18:59 14 Nov 03

Sorry jimmer409?, I can't help you on that, I'm still using Windows 98se, hopefully someone familiar with XP can help. The only suggestion I can make is to see if a system restore to a date before the problem started helps.

Gongoozler 10:55 15 Nov 03

Refresh for the Saturday crew

BarryKeith 12:58 15 Nov 03

After a restart you could try switching the monitor off at the main switch, wait a few seconds then switch it back on to see if there is a video signal coming from your computer. If there is, it's probably a problem with the video card, it may just need reseating. Even if there is no video you can still try reseating the card and if the problem persists, obtain another card or try your card in another computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…