Dead Letter Box

wee eddie 13:52 07 Feb 05

There is a thread on the Consumer Watch Forum discussing Hard Drives. This thread only relates to it in passing.

Total Care Support, who is I think the Time/Tiny presence here, in the course of a reply, said that he used an old Hard Drive, only 700Mg, to check his e-mails.

There had been a thought in the back of my mind along very similar lines for quite a while, I am not sure that this is exactly what he is doing, but here is the thought.

Isolate the Web from the OS of your PC with a Dead Letter Box.

Manage e-mail/Surf the Web on a small hard drive with Anti Virus, that only has facilities to do that and, necessarily of course, to be viewed by the operator.

Then, only transfer items to your main HDD and OS, when it has been cleared by the AV. Of course, this would raise umpteen problems, but with the current proliferation of threats, might solve some of them. Until the delayed payload is created!

wee eddie 19:32 07 Feb 05

It would have to be a separate system, but within, the main system.

Whenever it got a virus, you'd just format the disk and reinstall from, say a flash drive.

It'd probably need to be no more than 100Mg, or given a specially designed OS within an Anti-virus, about 20Mg.

octal 20:00 07 Feb 05

Now there's a thought. What about running a cutdown version of Windows 98SE on another small drive and dual boot and just use 98SE for the Internet. Using 98lite it only needs about 350MB, switching off the swap file and ditching I.E. and OE and add AV and firewall and add Firefox and Thunderbird would give a dedicated Internet suit in about 400MB.

Not much to reinstall.

wee eddie 09:43 08 Feb 05

a totally separate Hard Drive, with a physical barrier/switch between it and the core area, although this would restrict certain on-line activities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…