Dead laptop- use of hard drive

carol_s 14:07 28 Apr 09

I have a HP dv6000 laptop at the moment, with a dead screen. I have tried all sorts to rememdy it, but to no avail. It boots up and makes all the right noises but nothing on screen. I have tried connecting my monitor to it and it still does not work.I am wondering if there is a USB laed available. So that i can use the laptops hard drive to my Desktop pc and use it as a second hard drive. I am not bothered about it been on the inside of my desktop.

birdface 14:10 28 Apr 09

Could be something to do with your graphic card.Can you remove it and then replace it again.

birdface 14:12 28 Apr 09

Worth a read.

click here

Graphicool1 14:34 28 Apr 09

USB 2.0 Easy Link/Network Cable
No driver needed - true plug-and-play
click here

carol_s 14:42 28 Apr 09

Thanks i will try when i get home from work tonight. Any more things to try and i will also try those too.

Graham. 15:31 28 Apr 09

When trying with your monitor, there will be an Fn key combination to select an external monitor. Indeed, if you can try that anyway, you may have inadvertantly done that and turned the laptop screen off.

carol_s 22:11 28 Apr 09

Tried both buteman and Grahams suggestions to resolve blank screen, but to no avail.

carol_s 22:14 28 Apr 09

Graphicool, i was thinking more on the lines of throwing the laptop away and just using the 100GB hd. So would need some connection from the back of the hd to the usb connection on my desktop.

al's left peg 22:40 28 Apr 09

You can buy a hard drive caddy and put the laptop hard drive in that. Then you can connect either by usb or e-sata and access your data that way.

carol_s 23:03 28 Apr 09

a<ls left peg, if i want just a usb connection, do i need a 2.5 caddy with only USB?, or do i still have to have esata?, or IDE?

al's left peg 23:19 28 Apr 09

I just used the usb, I think it cost about £16.00 from a local computer shop. It is 2.5, mine was an Integral named unit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced