dead laptop, transferring files to new hard drive

travelspotter 16:35 05 Dec 05

My laptop has no power therefore not able to boot up. New laptop being repaced tomorrow under warranty and need to transfer files. Same model laptop just faster processor. Run XP pro and use pasword login. How can I transfer my files? Will they be locked somehow on the old drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 05 Dec 05

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Graham ® 17:32 05 Dec 05

If the laptop will not boot, you would have to physically remove it to gain access. You could try booting with the battery out of the new one.

Graham ® 17:33 05 Dec 05

...physically remove the hard drive, that is. I understand this is easy on some laptops.

travelspotter 18:10 05 Dec 05

Thank you, will try tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Guessed it would not be as simple as just putting the old hard drive into the new machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 05 Dec 05

Guessed it would not be as simple as just putting the old hard drive into the new machine.

MAy work if Same spec laptop as drivers will be same.

copy files to CD then fit new harddrive to copy files bck from CD

travelspotter 11:17 07 Dec 05

Tried the process described by Fruit bat to take ownership, everything seems fine until I double click on the folders. Still denied access to sub folders where the data is stored (Desktop & My Documents). Checked laptop spec, I think the new machine has some different components therefore reluctant to try old hard drive in new machine - don't want to kill the new machine!
I have back ups for most of the data which are only a week out of date but would really like to obtain all of the data off the old machine if I can.

Any further suggestions?

woodchip 11:54 07 Dec 05

You could swap drives but xp would not like it, MY thought are to get a External 2.5" Caddy for the drive you then use that as a Backup drive.

click here

travelspotter 12:41 07 Dec 05

uummmm, same thoughts as mine woodchip, bite the bullet and reformat for use as a backup. Bye bye old data!

Thanks folks, over and out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…