dead laptop after hibernation

Superstylin 19:56 28 Apr 08

hi all

recently my laptop went into hibernation with low power. when i tried to power it back up with the mains attached i got nothing on the screen, not a black screen but a blank one. the power light came on and the fans whirred but that's all.

i tried removing one of the memory modules and this time on boot the screen came on with the acer splash screen then the words 'resuming windows' but it never did resume, it just stays on that screen.

i've tried f8 and f10 (acer recovery) but it doesn't react to anything pressed on the keyboard apart from beeping at me.

my laptop is an acer travelmate 4151. after looking on google it seems it's not an uncommon thing for the model.

anyhoo this is a last resort because if it's not fixed soon then it's going out of the window! (or i'll see what use i can of the parts)

Superstylin 12:32 29 Apr 08

anyone?

Ditch999 12:43 29 Apr 08

Was it hibernation or sleep mode. Taking the memory out might have been a bad idea. What OS?

Superstylin 12:59 30 Apr 08

thanks ditch but i've managed to get it working.

it went into hibernation. i only took the memory out after repeated failed attempts to restart it.

i pulled the whole thing apart and gave it a clean (there was a block of dust and fuzz inside the fan) then i reset the bios by shorting the 'clear cmos' jumper (it is apparently a 'jumperless' motherboard so req'd shorting) this was after being unable to remove the cmos battery since it was soldered in.

put all back together and it let me into bios settings so i could boot from disk and recover my system.

glad i didn't chuck it now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced