Dead Laptop

alansabout 14:29 08 Jan 06

Hi all, my wife's Compaq presario 2100 has suddenly died all that happens is you get the Compaq splash screen and all goes blank I am unable to get into the bios nor will it boot from floppy or CD, the best I can get is entering setup and then it just hangs. I have tried to boot using a different keyboard and mouse , even removing the hard drive, I suspect a motherboard problem. What do you think is it worth repairing and if so what next?

Gongoozler 14:36 08 Jan 06

I think the first thing to try is resetting the CMOS by using the reset link or removing the battery for a few minutes, whichever is the more accessible.

alansabout 14:56 08 Jan 06

Hello Gongoozler, thanks for the quick reply I have tried the reset link to no avail. Think I will strip it down to get to the motherboard?? see if something is loose.

woodchip 15:20 08 Jan 06

Have you tried Laptop just on Mains? remove the battery

alansabout 15:54 08 Jan 06

Thanks woodchip yes I have tried that.

woodchip 16:37 08 Jan 06

Try taking the Hard Drive out then Refit

alansabout 16:45 08 Jan 06

Also done that thanks, the only thing left that I can think of is replace the CMOS battery as Gongoozler suggested, I have had the thing in bits but am unable to find one.

woodchip 16:45 08 Jan 06

Or take the Hard Drive out then see if it will boot to BIOS. If it does you know you have a faulty drive

woodchip 16:49 08 Jan 06

CMOS battery may be soldered in not disc type

woodchip 16:54 08 Jan 06

also try different ram strip

alansabout 17:06 08 Jan 06

I have tried that alsothanks. I will have another look for the battery although I am not to sure if that is the prob whenever I have had a battery fail on me I have always been able to get into the bios and also boot from a floppy, I fear the worst.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now