Dead HDD

yogibear 09:28 25 Feb 06

I have 2 HDD which refuse to work. One is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB ATA /133, the second is an Hitachi Deskstar HDS722525VLAT80. Both were working fine, but then decided NTFS wasn't for them so converted themselves to RAW. So I dug out an old 30GB HDD, set it as master, loaded XP Pro (SP1) onto it, set the Hitachi as slave and booted up. Nothing. The pc wouldn't even power up. So I tried the same with the Maxtor. Same again.
I tried setting an old 60Gb as slave, the system booted up no problem. As both the problem HDD are relatively new, I'm more than a little miffed. No reciepts, so I can't take them back.

Has anyone experienced similar? As it all seems to stem from them going RAW, can anyone explain why this happens?

Graham ® 09:40 25 Feb 06
  yogibear 09:45 25 Feb 06

Cheers Graham, what a bloody nightmare! My system is based on a barebones I bought from the factory shop at Time Computers...now defunct of course!

That'll teach me to be a cheapskate...

Eric10 09:58 25 Feb 06

If you think that the Maxtor drive may be under warranty, have you looked under Warranty Services on their website click here? If you enter the serial number of your drive it will say if it is under warranty or not and then you just step through a Wizard which ends with the generation of an RMA. I've just done a quick step through to the point before generating the RMA and it didn't ask for a receipt although I obviously don't know what may be written on the RMA itself.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:01 25 Feb 06

Ntfs table corrupted, two solutions

1. Risky and invasive - use program to replace the corrupted NTFS table (additional copy of the partition table on your hdd).
- DON'T DO IT! if you get it wrong, you may cause further corruption to the data.

2. - non invasive and safer (used by data recovery experts).
Connect the bad drive as a slave to a working windows environment - use data recovery software with ability to pick up MFT's (addressess) of all the files regardless whether partition table is present or not.

"Get data back" for Ntfs will scan your entire hdd and then show you partitions upon which you can build the file structure & recover. Green for good , valid partition, orange for one with little corruption etc. - sometimes a whole bunch of choices that will affect number of recoverable files and data integrity ratio. It's not the best program out there.
I recommend R-studio - quicker, and more automatic with picking up the file structure.

Always save recovered data onto different drive.
Verify data integrity before you reformat the drive!

File recovery :-
Badcopy Pro click here
file_recovery click here
R_Studio click here
Easyrecovery click here
Testdisc click here
Drive Rescue click here

Goodluck

yogibear 09:46 26 Feb 06

Thanks for the pointers, but the PC won't even boot up with either of the dead drives connected, either as slave or master.

Saali Chuud 17:39 02 Mar 06

I have the same problem with 2 drives, one is brand new and the other newish. Am going from forum to forum to find a step by step guide to fix problem

yogibear 22:23 03 Mar 06

Well, the maxtor has just gone up in a puff of smoke, and the Hitachi simply refuses to let the pc power up.

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it. :-)

DieSse 00:08 04 Mar 06

Any drive that won't even let a system power up is defunct and unrecoverable - as you've found!

But the advice to go direct to the manufacturers site for a warranty is good. The serial number will identify whether it's under warranty, and they normally require no other paperwork (other than you follow their RMA procedure).

yogibear 11:26 04 Mar 06

Thanks for that. I've checked but the drive is out of warranty...just.

Luckily HDD are cheap as chips at the moment, that said I'm grovelling to her indoors for a new machine.

Clouds and silver linings?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…