Dead H/D after upgrading mobo+CPU on WinXP Pro?

rickf 00:15 14 Jun 03

Hi All,
Hope you can help. I upgraded my m/b and cpu from P4 2MHz to 2.4. I use the same h/d with all my data and OS which is also XP Pro thinking that it would just boot up. On booting past post windows says there is a fault with the H/D. On rebooting, it says there is no H/D. I am up and running at the moment with an old 20g H/d on 5400 which I had intended to use as slave. The help I need is this. Is the 80g H/D now dead or is it that with the change of hardware win xp pro would not let me use it? I could not even install win xp pro on it as it says there is no H/D present. The H/d is only 6 months old.

jazzypop 00:23 14 Jun 03

How was your drive previously connected? 40 pin cable? And now - same cable?

Did you enter the BIOS and check that the parameters of the drive were correctly detected?

woodchip 00:32 14 Jun 03

Yes the fault is you need to Format it. And reinstall your OS and drivers for the new board

woodchip 00:38 14 Jun 03

Sorry just reread your post, As jazzypop says above plus check you have put the Drive cable on the right way round red tracer wire next to Power plug also check you have plugged it in the right way round on the Mobo the red tracer on plugs on the Mobo are normally all at the same side

rickf 00:45 14 Jun 03

Thanks ppl. Yes, the same cable and its put correctly the right way in. I could not format it as I could not get into windows. Any more suggestions. Sorry for the delay as I got off the net to install ZA and McAfee. Better late than sorry.

rickf 00:47 14 Jun 03

Do you think I can try it as slave to the 20g and see if it works. If it does then I can save my data, then format and install the os on it.

rickf 00:49 14 Jun 03

Bump!

rickf 00:50 14 Jun 03

Jazzypop and woodchip are you still there. I need help. I am prepared to spend the night trying to make it work. Otherwise a new H/D tomorrow it seems. Thanks.

jazzypop 00:51 14 Jun 03

If you have installed XP on the 20GB drive, you should be able to slave the 60GB drive and see your data.

Be patient on first boot - XP runs an NTFS file integrity check at bootup. If it detects a problem on the 60GB drive, it will try to fix it, before you get to the XP login screen. It could take a while with a 60GB drive, but XP is surprisingly good at rescuing corrupted file systems.

Remember to re-jumper the 60GB as a slave.

The Spires 00:57 14 Jun 03

If you set yout BIOS to boot from Cd you should be able to run XP Setup, it looks like you are attempting to do this from windows at present. Once the Pc is booting with the XP Cd follow the prompts.

(If you have no backup of data on C:\ you may be able to run a XP Repair & recover your data but this may not work, you don't however have a lot to loose.

To run repair:

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.)

rickf 01:00 14 Jun 03

Hi The Spires,
I got to windows setup and then XP could not install as it said there was no hard drives detected. Any more thoughts ppl. Help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…