Dead Harddrive? Alive? No, definitely dead...

Boffin Boy 14:52 28 Dec 05

Hello,
I have just recently aqquired a laptop for christmas, now, when I first got it out, it worked great for about an hour, no strange noises etc. etc.

However, it then suddenly froze on the shutdown, after this it just kept making a clicking noise, and saying "operating system not found", no other options, nothing to press etc., no boot.

Now, I read somewhere that taking the hdd out, and putting it back in again sometimes helps, I did this once, and no change, however, on doing it a second time it booted fine, no clicking, and it passed scandisk twice with no clicking. It ran for about two hours, with shutdowns working fine etc.

However now, it has stopped again - no boot.
I am pretty sure that the hdd needs replacing (at a cost of around £40), however, before plunging in would just like to ask if it could be anthing else, if there is anything I can do to fix it at home, and whether there is anything in particular I need to be looking for when I buy (buying new) (except 2.5in, and around 15gb+)

Thanks,
Daniel.

woodchip 15:06 28 Dec 05

If new take it back

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 28 Dec 05

Try booting into recovery consul (XP CD in Drive)

and type fixboot press enter

then type fixmbr press enter

boot to safemode and run chk disk.

Boffin Boy 15:12 28 Dec 05

Thanks for the reply...
It is second user machine, so will perserveer, and try to fix it...

Will try the xp console thing though...

Thanks,
Daniel.

Boffin Boy 15:26 28 Dec 05

I am just told that no hard drive could be found...

Thanks,
Daniel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 28 Dec 05

No hard disk found , sounds like the hard drive is kaput,

any size drive under 32G is likey to work

woodchip 17:20 28 Dec 05

Have you been into BIOS and auto detected the Drive first

Chris the Ancien 17:33 28 Dec 05

...with a laptop, taking the 'main' battery out for a couple of minutes can cure all manner of evils (but please don't ask why!). That happens with mine once in a while, and that's the best cure that I've found.

As woodchip says, sometimes - especially if the CMOS battery for the BIOS is a little low, it can lose those settings. And my BIOS is a devil to sort out - but not needed to go that far yet. I've found that mine gives the worst boot up problems if it's cold in my 'study' and it's been off for a while - a sure sign of the CMOS battery getting low (I'm dreading the time when I have to bite the bullet and change it - and then set up the BIOS from scratch again!).

Boffin Boy 00:19 29 Dec 05

Thanks all,
I think that this drive is definitely dead, and have decided to order a new one... any suggestions???

Thanks,
Daniel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…