dead Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro

SparkyJack 17:45 30 Sep 11

I have been given this item to play with, it having been rejected by a repair shop as beyond repair. This I interpreted as perhaps beydond.economical repair] It came in its bag with the Hardrive loose in one of the pockets.

Switching it on- POST came up then - No O/S Fair enough the hardrive is on the bench. I had established that the bare machine functioned. Inserting the hardrive - the Windows Splash screen then welcome came up and hung then the display moved to the left edge of the screen all squashed and distorted.

Shut the machine down and came back to it later Switch on - absolutely dead- No POST No /No O/S/ message. Guess what could be the problem folks.

Having successfully repaired a DEll by replacing the Hard drive with a Bare drive and installing Linux I had hopes similar for this one,but now I wonder -something more fundamental perhaps?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 30 Sep 11

Tried on mains only with battery removed?

Nontek 18:47 30 Sep 11

I repaired a similar 'dead' laptop, given to me as not worth repairing - it did have minor problems with hard-drive and CD ROM, easily sorted but still apparently 'dead' - I changed RTC Battery and it booted fine.

SparkyJack 19:42 30 Sep 11

F/B Battery in on own- all lights on fen runs. Battery out mains only Ditto above Will keep poking

Nontek 19:46 30 Sep 11

F/B Battery in on own- all lights on fen runs ? ? ?

What is F/B Battery?

SparkyJack 16:44 01 Oct 11

Nontek FB = Fruit Bat He asked try with battery out - I did and it runs Ditto battery in. But although all lights are go - System/Hard drive This now no display. MY thoughts are now going toward -a graphic unit failure - in which case no fix or perhaps inverter - fix possible. But my thoughts keep going back to when initially switched on there was a display that eventually collapsed in an unusual way- and this is after the machine had not been in use for a month or so=So perhaps maybe a capacitor breakdown or similar.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 01 Oct 11

Plug in an external monitor use the Fn + f key (with symbol of monitor) to scroll through the options of TFT only /External only / TFT + external screen.

see if you get a picture on the external monitor this will tell you if laptop screen or graphics are us.

SparkyJack 12:23 31 Oct 11

Time passes and some progress Discovered why no screen - the 'shut screen off' pin was stuck down- freed it - screen up. XP runs then crashes to BSD or some times simply- recovery and report message. This it does every few minutes.

So try to repair Winmdows - but no go- simply crashed.

Try to run a Linux distro-after load a while it too crashed with line of line numbers and littered with words like 'Panic' and 'failed to sync' . So removed hard drive and replaced it with a bare drive.

Tried XP once more - loaded all its drivers- came up with 'Format' Got as far as 45% and crashed with BSD error.

Tried Linux ditro and ran the 'Try from Disk' option#

Loaded perfectly and froze could not move pointer.

So it looks like a RAM or MoBo problem.

How can I take the testing further. Some mention of a set of files to burn to CD to test all hardware -Think it may be called 'Ultimate Boot CD' or some such A Google gave many - which to selectJ Any thoughts please.

northumbria61 12:49 31 Oct 11

UBCD4Win is a bootable recovery CD that contains software used for repairing, restoring, or diagnosing almost any computer problem.enter link description here I haven't used it so can't advise any further but I would suggest you download and try - if it solves your problem then consider making a small donation as requested.

robin_x 12:51 31 Oct 11

Use ultimatebootcd.com

UBCD Download Mirror Link

Use the 511 iso.

Also see Hiren's Boot CD

Check fans are working and not clogged with dust.

robin_x 12:52 31 Oct 11

Note: I gave up with UBCD4Win after having enormous hassles creating a disc or getting it to run. May have been me. Can't remember now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…