Dead DVD player

jack 16:02 28 Nov 04

I have had in the past a DVD/CD reader that apparently gave up and failed to read disks.
After much chat on this forum the conlusion was it is probably dead so took it out, and reset the burner drive that has been slave to master and left it at that.

I have the original x52 CD drive, to I thought put in the hole and make it do something useful, but IDE did not recognise it.

So I left it. it did not matter too much
To-day I have the machine open to fit a card and whilst at it I fiddled with the CD/slave - killed both drives dead

I removed the data cable from the CD and the burner/master came back.
Q.. both drives are on the same IDE, which I believe is of
significance only of one is disk to disk copying, which I do not do.
So what does the above signify?
Is it possible that the DVD is not really dead and there is some other underlying cause?
j

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 28 Nov 04

If two drives on same cable one must be master and other slave as set on jumpers at rear of drive.

Some drives appear to work better if both set to cable select.

IDE cables have also known to fail a new one costs very little. Two types 40 wire and 8O wire. Not sure if you can fit 80 wire in place of 40 others on forum may know better.

IDE drivers may also be suspect make sure you have latwst for your board see manufactures web site.

Stuartli 17:50 28 Nov 04

With cable select you have to have a mobo that supports it and also the correct leads.

jack 14:15 29 Nov 04

Silly old codger me!
I had mis read the legend on the selector pins
both were set as master.
Alls well now Thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…