Dead Desktop and Icons

Ex plorer 10:06 AM 08 May 12
Answered

Having problems, coincidence or not, after speaking to TalkTalk to improve my connection things are going wrong.

My desk top is dead I can’t right click to open the drop down menu and no Icons work.

I open Firefox from All programs and it says FF is already running even after a restart. IE reports it cannot display the web page although it does and works slowly. OS Win7

down Load Speed 1.15Mbp/s up load speed 0.34Mbps. Ping 61ms.

spuds 10:21 AM 08 May 12
Answer

The faults you are mentioning possibly have nothing to do with broadband connection, but something more to do with your computer.

You are with TalkTalk, then you might have their Huawei Echolife HG520b router. If so, check the router by typing in http://192.168.1.1 then enter 'admin' in the password and username boxes, and see if that works or shows anything?.

Have you installed or updated anything recently?.

Ex plorer 11:08 AM 08 May 12

G morning spuds the router they gave me isn't much use its a D-Link model DSL-2680. My old BT Voyager seems to get a better performance.

I have removed FF complete with any saved book-marks etc. and reloaded it again.

Desktop is still dead but FF is working OK.

Wish I could delete and reload IE. However IE works it just says it cant display the page close the mesage and its finebut slow OK for a back-up.

Just need to sort the Desktop out now.

Ex plorer 15:20 PM 08 May 12

Restored to an early point fixed the problem.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED