DEAD DEAD and still DEAD

ncc_60205 14:57 20 Jul 08

As you may have guessed, its dead !

some months ago i plugged an external hard drive into my PC - biggest mistake in my computer life ever - it killed my PC within 2 minutes !

I have checked the PSU ie I tried annother one and no change.

I have swapped the RAM over - no change so have put original back in.

I have had the graphics card tested - Advised by shop it works fine.

I have a new motherboard - same model as before but with twin bios not single - gigabyte Pentium 4 series GA-81PE775 PRO

I have a new processor - slight upgrade - Intel P4 3.00GHZ/2M/800/04A number 630. I beleive the processor is compatable with motherboard as i have been researching the motherboard website.
click here

Previously when i booted up it would shut down before it got to the bios option screen. now it is not even receiving a signal to the monitor !

I am starting it up in basic mode - ie no hard drive, CD rom etc etc just processor, graphics card and RAM - absolutly nothing. no beeping, just all the fans running and that is all!

PLEASE HELP as i am at wits end

Cheers
Andy

cream. 15:07 20 Jul 08

"I have a new processor - slight upgrade - Intel P4 3.00GHZ/2M/800/04A number 630. I beleive the processor is compatable with motherboard as i have been researching the motherboard website."

Only if you have a F4 motherboard. click here

ncc_60205 15:10 20 Jul 08

I was of the understanding that i could flash the bios to upgrade it ! is that not the case?

Cheers
Andy

MAT ALAN 15:12 20 Jul 08

All well and good if your FLASH goes wel,l if it is the wrong file or is disturbed then you can render your MOBO USELESS....

ncc_60205 15:15 20 Jul 08

OK so what do i need to do ?
i have not got anything working at mo so i cant upgrade the bios to F4
I was advised that it would run on a pre F4 bios just not at its full spec till it was upgraded!
how do i fing out what bios my motherboard has if i cant get into it?

Andy

cream. 15:17 20 Jul 08

You can't flash the bios till the computer starts. You need to get POST.

have you tried your old cpu in the mobo?

cream. 15:21 20 Jul 08

Look at the motherboard box and C\D. It might tell you there.

Oh and also look at the bios chip or motherboard name printed on the motherboard.

As to flashing the bios, if you can boot with an older cpu, you have the backup of a dual bios motherboard. If a mistake did occour and this is quite rare, you have the second bios as a backup.

ncc_60205 15:23 20 Jul 08

yes - tried that - old CPU in new motherboard - have not tried new processor in old motherboard - may well end up trying that later - i am so fed up with it at the mo I may just go fishing LOL

Also what do you mean "you need to get POST" ?

Cheers
All

Andy

cream. 15:26 20 Jul 08

Post is Power On Self Test.

This is were the bios loads the first pages and you can get to an a:\ prompt so you can execute the bios flashing program.

ncc_60205 16:01 20 Jul 08

Thanks for that

Half way through swapping motherboard back to old one and test it with new processor - hope that produces some results ;-)

Andy

ncc_60205 16:33 20 Jul 08

OK - swapped old mother board back in and new processor - started to power up and then turned off within 10 seconds.

at least with the new mother board it does not power down - it just does not do any thing

I guess i am going to have to go fishing .....

Cheers for all you help

Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…