Dead Computer - Help

plebbydoo 21:41 12 May 03

When I switched on one of my computers I found nothing would start except my monitor. The keyboard light, computer light and DVD light do not show as on. Have checked mains supply and mains (plug) fuse both ok. Does my tower computer power supply box contain it's own fuse. Any idea or thoughts as to what the problem could be or should I look no further and take my system to a computer hospital.

dont open the power supply it contains a capacitor that can kill you even when its not plugged in. the problem could be all sorts of things, is there any history to this problem or was it a case of one day working the next day not?

Have you checked the power lead from the supply box inside the computer as this may have become loose?

If you have then try removing the small thin backup battery which is placed on the 'Motherboard' inside of the machine, as this will reset the BIOS chip...

NOTE: It is a good idea if you can leave the battery out over night, being given that the CPU cache memory is fully drained out...

This should then resolve the Boot problem...

J v.Dongen

captain birdseye 10:36 13 May 03

If you've checked the plug / fuse /lead firmly in then why not swap the power supply from your other computer to see if that works....you can swap either power supply either way, then you will find out if one of the power supplies is dead. If it is buy a new one (they are not expensive) but DO NOT OPEN THE DEAD ONE TO TRY AND REPAIR IT.

stlucia 11:49 13 May 03

Just a silly thought -- does your PSU have its own on/off switch, and has it been knocked? Been there, done that!

plebbydoo 19:35 13 May 03

Have now replaced my PSU after taking up suggestions to swap my other one over. Everything worked fine so replaced dead PSU.
Thanks to Horiz5, Vdongen, Captain Birdseye and Stlucia - saved me dosh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…