dead computer

snowy30 00:32 15 Jul 10

I have and been trying to fix a dead computer (it's not mine), I done what could have been the obvious and foremost cause of a dead computer and that is used a working power lead - no luck! I put in a new PSU - no luck! Today I installed a new motherboard and still no luck. I hooked up the hard drive and the previous PSU to an old computer of mine and they both work. I put a Digital Meter across the front panel pins and there was a voltage reading, I even applied a screwdriver along the front panel pins for the power and there wasn't even a spark, bearing in mind that this is a new board.....any ideas anyone?

howard64 08:39 15 Jul 10

could be a short on the new mobo? have you double checked that the supports are in the correct positions for the new one? Try the new mobo out of the case on an insulated mat or something.

Dark Mantis 10:14 15 Jul 10

New PSU, lead, motherboard and still nothing? Are yoiu sure the socket has power to it?

Dark Mantis 10:15 15 Jul 10

If you applied a screwdriver along the front panel pins then you have probably blown the motherboard anyway.

T0SH 14:54 15 Jul 10

Stirred up memories from a long time back when I almost tore my hair out with a similar problem on a new build, it turned out to be a faulty reset button on the case front which was permanently locked in the reset position, a replacement of the momentary action switch fixed it though

Cheers HC

snowy30 18:15 15 Jul 10

That have crossed my mind, I have considered replacing the power switch on the front panel which is the only solution I have left to mind. Whether it be that or the mobo is at fault I do not know.

Howard

What difference will there be by trying the mobo out of the case?

howard64 06:37 16 Jul 10

it will eliminate any chance of the mobo earthing to the case.

Dark Mantis 06:51 16 Jul 10

Yes I would rebuild the computer outside the case and see if that makes any difference. Also make sure that you have only the basics attached at first.

T0SH 14:10 16 Jul 10

I have also in the past removed all the mounting screws holding the motherboard in place then slid a thin sheet of cardboard under the motherboard to keep it clear of case

I would also disconnect the front panel connector if it is a one piece connector unit with the individual connectors type leave only the startup one connected, or try the screwdriver momentarily across the appropriate place on the MB connection pins (do not expect to see a flash though the voltage on the startup pin connection is only 3.5V DC with a current of a few Milli Amps)

As suggested in the other posts the absolute minimalist approach in testing is to be highly recomended

cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…