Dead Computer

Felix 9115 16:32 22 Jan 05

I have a Dell desktop pc which won't POST on switching on - the fans start and run for ten seconds then stop. There is an AUX power light displayed on the Motherboard. When I remove the memory all the fans run, and the pc gives out four long beeps followed by two short ones, the beeps then stop. Can anyone help please?

rubella 16:37 22 Jan 05

I'd start by clearing the cmos.

Gongoozler 16:44 22 Jan 05

If the motherboard won't complete POST with the memory, but will complete without it, this is an almost certain indicator of a memory fault. If you have more than one stick of memory, try with just one stick. Otherwise, if clearing the CMOS hasn't helped, you will have to try a new stick of memory.

The four POST beeps were telling you that there was a memory problem - caused by your having removed the memory.

Felix 9115 17:57 22 Jan 05

Cleared the CMOS - machine up and running, and giving a 'low system battery warning' now, changed the battery for a known good one (I think), warning still given. The view on the monitor is also now showing as a split screen - any ideas please?

Gongoozler 09:36 23 Jan 05

I still think this is a memory problem.

Gongoozler 09:41 23 Jan 05

--- or very likely the memory thing was a red herring and your real problem is a faulty graphics card.

Felix 9115 13:28 23 Jan 05

Thanks all for your help - will look at swapping for good memory and graphics card (using onboard at moment)and see how things go. Anymore ideas are welcome.

Gongoozler 17:44 23 Jan 05

Hi Felix 9115. As your graphics is onboard, that ties my 2 diagnoses together. The POST working after the memory was removed is indicative of faulty memory, the split graphics is indicative of faulty graphics memory. As your onboard graphics shares the RAM that is exactly what I would expect to happen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…