Dead Compaq PC

Snowtiggs 15:57 15 Feb 05

Trying to help friend with 5-year old PC brought from Oz to UK two years ago and in storage since then. Immediately had to use restore disks to get computer working at all but it worked (intermittently) for a week, although graphics card appears to be faulty at best. Now computer won't even finish start-up sequence. Can't get into safe mode and restore CD no longer works. Appears many items of software on computer are illegal, and driver disks missing (unless on restore disk). Supposedly had Windows 2000 installed but when start-up sequence WAS visible, seems to have Windows 98. Any point in attempting to repair? Age of computer would suggest not, and wondering if storage conditions may have made repair possibilities useless anyway. Suggestions, please!

Diemmess 16:07 15 Feb 05

Pretty poorly it seems.

Why not try it at its simplest..... Disconnect the HD and CD and boot from a win98 startup disk, and see how far you get?.... If you get to the a: prompt that's a start. ....The next step would be to reconnect the hard disk. At that point it may just stop again, more likely HD failure.

xania 16:25 15 Feb 05

If storage was damp, or in extreme heat or cold, you could have damaged anything. For my money, the computer is not reliable and could fail at any time, so there's no point spending money on it. A replacement hard disk could solve the problem, but that could be a short term solution only. You know that its not what you expected, so you don't know what's around the corner. I'd dump it and start again.

Snowtiggs 16:32 15 Feb 05

Thank you both for your responses: they confirmed my gut feeling, even though my friend is going to be upset (so far as she's concerned, she had a computer that worked fine in Australia and she can't understand why it won't do the same here . . . . ). I do have a WIN 98 floppy boot disk so may well try that for the "fun" of it but I think the real solution is going to be to invest in a new computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 15 Feb 05

Win98 restore
Boot with a win98floppy start disc click here, download the file to hard disc then put clean floppy in drive double click download to create 98 boot disc start with disc at A:\> type SCANREG /RESTORE press enter from list choose old date to restore before your problem started.

System File Checker
click here

Clean install windows 98
click here

Starting in safe Mode
click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…