DEAD Acer Aspire 5742 Laptop

Jmac179 12:09 29 Mar 11

My son's Acer Aspire Laptop appeared to be infected with a Virus/Mal-ware, it was showing what looked like a fake program called MS Malicious Software Removal Tool reporting about 30 different viruses and wanting the remove now button pressed which i did not do, reason i think it was fake is that it looked more like a virus checker program rather than the real Microsoft program.
I downloaded the real program from Microsoft on another computer and loaded it on a USB Stick, ran the program on the Acer laptop doing a full scan in safe mode and found nothing.
Shut down the laptop and returned an hour later to see what else i could do but laptop will not boot up all that happens is the LED next to the battery LED flashes orange 5 times then nothing. tried Acer's web site and it recommended remove battery for 30 seconds with power cord disconnected and then plug in power cord and replace battery but still the same 5 flashes on the LED. Laptop is only 5 months old what is the best way forward?

Jmac179 12:36 29 Mar 11

Sorry the FAKE program was MS Removal Tool and i have changed the laptop power supply and it now works, so i guess the help i need is with removing the program MS removal tool.

onthelimit1 12:39 29 Mar 11

Bleeping Computer Guides are hard to beat - scroll down to the auto removal section
click here

961 13:57 29 Mar 11

Download and run (free) Malwarebytes and follow instructions

click here

onthelimit1 14:04 29 Mar 11

The link I gave uses malwarebytes, but carries out important actions first.

finerty 14:26 29 Mar 11

try removing power cable and the battery and press the power button for about 30 seconds or more the reconnect battery or power line and c if this makes it work

onthelimit1 14:34 29 Mar 11

Sounds (from his second post) that the original supply is duff, but he still has a virus.

onthelimit1 15:18 29 Mar 11

Not just you - I'm for ever apologising for not having 'engaged brain before operating mouth'!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…