dead?

bythor 22:20 25 Sep 07

Hi folks. Up until tonight my desktop was working (apparently) perfectly. For no clear reason locked up, and eventually rebooted. Ran for about ten mins then locked up again. I thought maybe it was getting watm, as it's been on for a few days now. Switched off while I want out. Now, about three hours later, it doesn't want to come on. Get to the usual 'energy' splash, CPU detected, DDR Dimm: 128 bits, Dual channels, then no further. Line at the bottom says the usual 'Press DEL to enter setup' but this produces nothing. I have an Acronis back up, but it doesn't get far enough to look at the boot order. Any suggestions?
3GHz pentium, with XP Pro SP2.
Bythor

woodchip 22:34 25 Sep 07

looks like a hard drive problem

bythor 22:38 25 Sep 07

If the memory battery was duff would it produce this type of fault?

exodus 22:40 25 Sep 07

Hi
'Press DEL to enter setup'

It would appear that your bootable hard drive is not booting for some reason.

That refers to pressing the 'Delete' key to enter the BIOS setup screens.
Can you enter the BIOS screens?
If so, check that your bootable hard drive is recognised and is set correctly in the boot order.

A dead motherboard battery can cause many stange problems. Losing time and date settings is one of them.

exo

martjc 22:41 25 Sep 07

...bios battery? Bios buggered? new MB req'd? Try leaving it off for a few hours then post back with further news.

bythor 22:42 25 Sep 07

can't get into setup which is why I'm suspicious of the battery. I'd guess if it were the hd then I'd get into the bios?

exodus 22:49 25 Sep 07

Hi, certainly odd that you can't enter the BIOS.
Could be a motherboard defect.

Check to see if there is an option to return to the BIOS default settings. This may be done by using pin connections on the motherboard if available or removing the battery for a few minutes. the saved settings will be lost and the default ones then used.

exo

bythor 22:55 25 Sep 07

it was the 'kin bios battery. I knew I'd used one recently - I'd put a new one in my cheapo watch. Anyway, used that and it's currently booting into XP. We'll see what that brings! Thanks everyone for your input.

exodus 22:58 25 Sep 07

Hi, glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the update.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5