DDR2 RAM

Ade_1 22:00 25 Jan 06

I am looking at getting 512mb extra ram for my machine just to support the new Powercolor x700 graphics card im getting as it also uses some RAM. I have been on crucial, but is the standard 240pins for DDR2 ram if not all RAMS? What exactly do i need to look for when buying RAM?

PC Bilbo 22:43 25 Jan 06

If you are getting additional RAM to add to existing
RAM what is yr mobo and what is the existing RAM?

The best way is to connect to Crucial and use their online selector tool to tell you what you need.

click here

Ade_1 23:05 25 Jan 06

Well i have a dell Dimension 5100 and exisiting RAM is 1GB but its about %87 or something looking at Everest, it seems to have decreased and i think its because my current X300 uses up some of my ram. I have been on crucial and it tells me that 240pins is compatible with my machine, but i was planning on buying some RAM from a local store so as long as it is 240 it will be compatible?

Ade_1 23:05 25 Jan 06

(o i ment about 587 or something like that NOT %87)

Ade_1 23:10 25 Jan 06

i best repharse it ill copy and paste exactly what it says - These 240-pin DIMM modules are compatible with your system. So this means aslong as i find any DDR2 240pin DIMM memory they will fit?

gudgulf 10:39 26 Jan 06

Any DDR2 240 pin memory sticks will fit......but they may not be compatible with the RAM you already have.

You should make sure that the rated memory speed and timings match what you already have......which is what the memory recommended by crucial will do.

Is your memory running in dual channel mode as standard?...you need to take this into account too.

Please don't scrimp on the quality of the RAM you buy......cheap memory can often be the cause of poor performance and instability on a pc.

Lastly what do you intend to use the new card for?

If it is for gaming,then the card is not powerfull enough to need a large chunk of your existing RAM so you might not realise any gain in performance from upping the amount of ram you have.

Ade_1 15:24 26 Jan 06

Where abouts can i find out the rated memory speed and timings? And i intend to use it fro gaming, but my X300 already uses some of my RAM, and i thought it was best to get some more RAM just in case to support it...

i ment support the new card im getting (x700)

i ment support the new card im getting (x700)

Gongoozler 15:26 26 Jan 06

If Crucial say they fit, then the guarantee that they will, and will replace/refund if they don't.

Ade_1 15:28 26 Jan 06

Woudl it be ok having the new card now and not putting in RAM. As i dont think its completely neccessary, i was just thinking about for support. Maybe i should consider it for the future, but not as this point...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…