DDR or DDR2

DJ-Garry 17:08 17 Apr 05

Hi guys.
If I get this mobo, can I use the DDR RAM I already have now and then stick some DDR2 RAM in it later and use them both at the same time???
Cheers, Garry.

Diodorus Siculus 17:14 17 Apr 05

Probably but unless you tell us the mobo, we can't be sure!

DJ-Garry 17:19 17 Apr 05

Sorry, forgot to post the link. It's this one here: click here

DJ-Garry 17:29 17 Apr 05

I'm actually concidering all these bit to make a system. DOes anyone see any conflict problems???

> POWER SUPPLY
> click here
>
> PROCESSOR
> click here
>
> MOBO
> click here
>
> RAM (2 SETS=4 STICKS OF 512MB, HIGHLY RATED BRAND)
> click here
>
> CASE
> click here
>
> DECENT SHOT OF CASE
> click here
>
> CASE INSIDE
> click here
>
> click here

DJ-Garry 21:43 17 Apr 05

??

DieSse 01:58 18 Apr 05

click here

This review says the RAM types cannot be mixed.

Diodorus Siculus 09:20 18 Apr 05

DieSse - it seems to be a hit and miss process these times; I am mixing 512 MB 2100 and 256mb 2700 RAM at the moment with no obvious problems. I think newer boards seem less tolerant.

DieSse 10:12 18 Apr 05

"...newer boards seem less tolerant"

As timings get faster, yes they probably are less tolerant. Also Dual Channel working is extremely crtical as the accesses to each RAM module are interleaved, leaving even less room for error.

The worst thing about mixing RAM speeds and manufacturers is that it's more likely to lead to occasional problems, than not work at all.

However this question is about mixing DDR and DDR2, which is a different kettle of fish anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…