DDR memory for Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394

I have bought this board and am trying to decide what memory to buy for it. A forum on the Corsair website claims that the Sis655 chipset in this mobo does not support DDR400 despite Gigabyte claiming that it does. This leaves me in a bit of a quandry as to what to buy.

Does anyone out there have one of these boards that is running smoothly (and fast?) and if so what memory are you using and are you using dual channel (if so what is the configuration)?

Obviously I want to be able to use DDR400 but if it isn't going to work then I may have to reconcile myself to slower PC2700 memory instead.

Any help and advice will be gratefully received and very much appreciated.

clayton 17:36 30 Apr 03
  Mysticnas 17:52 30 Apr 03

hiya mate...

i've just ordered that very board. So please tell me that it was worth it and that you didn't have any problems?

i've only got 2100 DDR at the moment. but i will upgrade at a later date as i've got 1Gb of it.

hey just a few questions on how you set it up, did you buy this board for a new PC setup or did you just buy a new board to put your current hardware on?

I just wanna know, cuz i intend to try and hotswap my hardware over to it and hope it just boots. I've been told that cuz my current board has an intel chipset and this one runs the SiS655 chipset, that xp prob won't boot or if it does it will keep hanging up.

so to simplyfy the question...

did you install a fresh copy of windows or did you just bung in your current hard drive and windows already installed?

if you did the second, just bung in your pre installed windows drive, was your motherboard and intel chipset one?

Mysticnas 17:54 30 Apr 03

if you did the second, just bung in your pre installed windows drive, was your old motherboard an intel chipset one?

Hello,

Unfortunately, I haven't built it yet. I decided to replace my current pc and build from scratch rather than go down the upgrade route.

I wanted an Intel processor this time (as fast as possible) and a board to match. The reviews for this board were terific so I bought one. All the other bits (case, graphics card, HDD etc) are on their way or about to be ordered.

Difficulty came when I was about to order the memory - I was having difficulty trying to track down what was on the list at the Gigabyte site. That was when I found the forum on the Corsair website where some were having problems and others said it was OK.

So...... if in doubt find someone who has a system up and running, find out what they are using and where they bought it. Hence this posting and if there is anyone out there who can help there appears to be more than just me that needs it!!

PS any other help and advice about this board would be gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation.

ardvarc 18:51 30 Apr 03

No doubt you have seen this. DDR3200 is not listed but as it is a freephone number it is worth asking their advice.

click here

Many thanks for this, I hadn't thought about this site as it wasn't listed by Gigabyte. Crucial is a reputable firm and I expect an exchange would be straightforward if there were problems.

Do you know if there is much of a difference in performance terms between pc2700 and 3200 because at the end of the day, common sense tells me that a slightly slower performance is a small trade off for reliability.

With a difference of £94 per Gb its a damn sight cheaper as well I hasten to add!! At that price I could afford 2x512 sticks or even 4 and maximise the dual channel technology, what do you think?

Mysticnas 19:42 30 Apr 03

I'd go for more RAM if you're going to do a lot of intensive stuff like video editing, animation, 3D, and genereal multimedia stuff.

anything over 1Gb for a standard user is a waste.

so if you need lots go for a more reliable spec than faster. and even then the speed i assume is only going to be fractional and probably you won't even see it.

I intend to convert my digital video tapes to DVD. There are quite a few of them and several subjects on each one. When finished I want one subject per disc so that means a lot of processing - and a large HDD (on order).

(And have you seen the way that the price of the 3.06 mhz P4 is plummeting? Very tempting!)

Mysticnas 21:01 30 Apr 03

thats why i got this new board...

i got a P4 2.4 at the mo which i'm told can be clocked safely to just under 3Ghz. anyway... i'll prob get a HT P4 in the next 6 months.

but at the moment i'm trying to find a faster fan for my coolermaster heatsink.

Mysticnas 21:07 30 Apr 03

thats why i got this new board...

i got a P4 2.4 at the mo which i'm told can be clocked safely to just under 3Ghz. anyway... i'll prob get a HT P4 in the next 6 months.

but at the moment i'm trying to find a faster fan for my coolermaster heatsink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…