DDR memory chips speeds

MartynHoll 13:13 31 Dec 06

I will be buying a new motherboard/processor shortly and it comes with DDR 400 memory, can I put in my DDR 333 from my existing PC as well?

Stuartli 13:16 31 Dec 06

Providing everything is equal apart from the speed, more than likely.

But all the memory will run at the slower speed which would somewhat defeat the object.

skidzy 13:17 31 Dec 06

All depends on the amount of ram the new mobo will handle if trying to use all at once.
Post the mobo model and we can check,i would say if the ram is compatible with the mobo there should not be any trouble as it should be backward compatible,hence Stuartli's post.

Totally-braindead 13:18 31 Dec 06

Providing its compatible then yes. But if the DDR400 is running at its full speed then installing the slower DDR333 will slow all the memory down to DDR333 speeds.
But it must be compatible ie same parity etc

MartynHoll 10:45 04 Jan 07

I was able to fit a memory stick that was 400 speed so all working OK

squillary 13:10 04 Jan 07

The motherboard will come with a manual that tells you what speeds of RAM the motherboard supports. The manual is usually also available online (often an updated one) from the manufacturers website.

If you're intending to use mixed memory it may be possible but without knowing the chip numbers of the old and new I don't think anyone can say. Pump the chip numbers into google and you'll get a fuller spec.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced