._DD files - 1527 of them on hard drive !

Chris69 20:02 08 Mar 03

I've just discovered that my hard drive has "developed" 1527 files in the root directory, named "File0000._DD" thru to "File 1526._DD". Most seem to be 32kb, but some are 0KB. All appear to have been created on the same day, over a 3 hour period.

Can anyone tell me what they are - and can I safely delete them ?

I have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed (and regularly updated) and have done a virus-scan which comes up clean.

In case any of it may be related :

I had some problems a while back with Windows and had to re-install Windows ME, following which :

I had to reinstall all my Norton Systemworks + Personal Firewall software.

I also had to sort out a corrupted MS Frontpage "Web server extensions cache file" (whatever that is !), as Frontpage kept hanging and filling all available memory when started (now sorted), and had/have some problems with MS Outlook saying it cannot access my outlook.pst file (I'm using a back-up file instead for the time being)

Any info would be gratefully received !

Best wishes

spruce 20:17 08 Mar 03

I have had a look at file extentions and _DD is shown as a Norton Disk Doctor Recovered File.

Try looking at the ASCII text of the file with a hex editor or looking with notepad to see if it anything you wanted to keep.

Other than that 'cross your fingers' it is not a system file so you probably could delete it.

Hope this helps.

Chris69 10:54 09 Mar 03

Many thanks - that makes sense as I did use DD to make some repairs.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…