Days of work deleted

  coolteentom 19:40 09 Apr 04


Somehow I have lost the contents of a really important document, which was about a page long, and is now saved as completely blank. I am desperate to get it back. Can anyone help me???

The document is called 'Public Health', which is completely blank. There is a backup copy, which Microsoft Word made called '~$blic health'.

Is there any chance that this could contain the older copy?

(When I try to open it, it says that 'Word cannot import the specified format.This feature is not installed). I do not have the Office CD at the minute, but will get it if I need it.


  ZEROTOLERANCE 19:55 09 Apr 04

yes it should do get your cd & you should be fine

  GANDALF <|:-)> 19:56 09 Apr 04

click here should dig it out and it is free.


  sattman 20:35 09 Apr 04

It would appear that the file you found is the file you require.

Not sure of my full facts here but someone will correct me and maybe the solution is much easier

Somehow you need to change the first three letter of the file vack to pub I have done this many times in the past to get a file back that has been deleted from a disk, usually only first letter had changed

If you can get a dos programme that will allow you to edit and change name of file.

  coolteentom 21:07 09 Apr 04

Thanks for all your replies.

The recovery file only contains about 3 lines worth of coding (with the sqaure characters and jumbled up letters).

Would this be enough for a whole page of writing??


  woodchip 21:15 09 Apr 04

Do not be put of by the code that you can see. Try to restore it

  Litlun 22:12 09 Apr 04

Did not Gandalf's Handy Recovery tip work?

  coolteentom 10:59 10 Apr 04

I have tried the Handy Recovery program, but it seems that it will only find files that have actually been deleted, rather than changed.

I will try and get the Office CD, so that I can open the restored file.

Thanks for all your help.

  coolteentom 12:26 11 Apr 04

I have found a few .TMP files that were deleted around the time I was working on the document. They have names like:

~WRL1344 , ~WRL2588 , ~WRD3635 etc.

However I cannot find a program to open them with.

Is there anything I can do with these?



  VoG II 12:27 11 Apr 04

Those are probably "scraps" from Word. You could try opening them in Notepad.

  GANDALF <|:-)> 16:57 11 Apr 04

Only a guess but did you have autosave enabled?


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…