Daughters high phone bills.

Meshuga 17:24 21 Aug 05

My daughters phone bills have suddenly shot up and a dialler is suspected. She lives in spain and is with Telephonica and is on Dialup. The only info I can get from her is that she has Panda AV. She is very vague about anything else. Her os is xp home edition sp2. What steps can she take to find out if she has a dialler please. Any info reqd will have to be got by me phoning spain.

rawprawn 17:28 21 Aug 05

Good evening, tell her to run the usual Adaware, Spybot A²programs and see what turns up.

johnnyrocker 17:28 21 Aug 05

have a look in control panel/network and dial up connections see if any strangers and delete, internet options/connections set to always dial default.

johnny.

mattyc_92 17:30 21 Aug 05

All of these are FREE.....

Firewall: ZoneAlarm (to help stop this happening again) click here

Adware, Diallers, etc....: AdAware click here

MS Anti-Spyware click here

mattyc_92 17:31 21 Aug 05

This might help as well (Microsoft On-Line scan): click here

Meshuga 17:42 21 Aug 05

Many thanks to all. I have already asked her about all those usual scans but she doesn`t know what she`s got installed. I will pass on johnyrockers info and get her to check that out. Trouble is that she is scared to download any anti progs in case of high phone bills. Thanks for all your interest.

daba 18:17 21 Aug 05

Yes, some of these progs will take a while to download on dial-up, but that's a one-off, and the protection she will get from the software she downloads will help to prevent her system being hi-jacked continuously.

In the meantime, tell her to unplug her modem from the phone line unless she wants to use the internet. Nothing can get through then and run up her phone bill

rawprawn 18:33 21 Aug 05

Download all the programs needed, put them on a CD and post it to her. The whole job would only take about 5 days at the most.good luck.

VoG II 18:45 21 Aug 05

Spybot click here is particularly good for dialers and I would advise her to download that, update it, then scan with it before trying any of the others.

Meshuga 19:07 21 Aug 05

Many thanks daba, rawprawn and VoG. Will put them on disk and send it to her. Regards.

john-232317 19:42 21 Aug 05

Hi, sorry to here about the problem, how about her getting Telefonica BB, its only 40 € a month, just over a € a day and on 24/7 and no dialler probs. I think they are still giving away the router for free, boo hoo I paid over 200€ to get connected a couple of years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…