//some 3rd party need geo

Daughter has 'lost' the display on her Monitor

Mike2002 23:51 20 Apr 06

My Daughter has recently installed Windows XP Pro.
Initially her Monitor displayed at a low resolution, so she downloaded a Driver for it.
She then went into Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced, clicked on the 'Monitor' tab, then clicked on 'Change'.

These settings are present on my Windows 98SE, but may be slightly different on her XP.
In my setup, If I click on 'Change' a box named 'Update Device Driver Wizard' box appears but, in her case (as far as I could ascertain) her screen went black and she has been unable to get a picture back again even after rebooting.

Forum Editor 00:01 21 Apr 06

as there's no 'change' option under the monitor tab in the advanced display settings dialogue for Windows XP Pro.

What she might have done is (in the monitor properties dialogue) to select 'do not use this device' - thereby disabling the monitor.

If that's the case, she should be able to rectify matters by booting her computer into safe mode. This will cause Windows to load a generic monitor driver, and your daughter can alter her display settings afresh.

Stuartli 00:02 21 Apr 06

You don't need a "driver" for a monitor as it is controlled by the onboard graphics or graphics card.

Download the correct drivers for whichever is appropriate and then set the configuration via Desktop>right click>Properties>Settings tabb>Advanced button>Adapter>List All Modes.

Choose the required colour/resolution/refresh rate (best at 85MHz) and Apply and OK. Also Enabled Do Not Reboot After Changing Settings or words to that effect.

Mike2002 00:29 21 Apr 06

Forum Editor:
Quote: "She should be able to rectify matters by booting her computer into safe mode."

I did advise her of this, telling her to (either)press CTRL or F8 after switching on the PC, but am waiting for her to get back to me on this.

Stuartli:
Quote: "You don't need a "driver" for a monitor as it is controlled by the onboard graphics or graphics card."

My Mitsubishi monitor came with with an install CD containing an appropriate driver. As far as I can remember, I think my resolution was stuck on 800 x 600 until I installed the driver.

Forum Editor 00:31 21 Apr 06

Ermmm....

Windows thinks differently

click here

Totally-braindead 09:01 21 Apr 06

Perhaps what Stuartli was refering to is using the plug and play monitor driver rather than a dedicated one for your monitor. Its better to use the dedicated one if its available but my cheap TFT doesn't have a driver and the manufacturers told me I have to use the generic plug and play monitor driver, my last monitor was quite old, there was no XP driver for it and again I used the plug and play driver. Both worked perfectly.

Stuartli 09:10 21 Apr 06

I can't, unfortunately, open your link at the moment - will try again after taking the other half to the quack.

However, I was responding on the basis that in Device Manager when checking the monitor's driver, you get the message No Driver Is Installed Or Is Required For This Device.

It won't even accept the listed .inf driver for my Belinea 21in monitor, but an MS 5.1.2001.0 driver is listed on the page...:-)

Mike2002 11:32 21 Apr 06

FE:
Quote: "she should be able to rectify matters by booting her computer into safe mode. This will cause Windows to load a generic monitor driver, and your daughter can alter her display settings afresh."

From what she is saying, she clicks on the Safe Mode option but, as the monitor is still 'black' is unable to tell whether it actually IS booting into Safe Mode. Very strange.

justme 15:44 21 Apr 06

At the risk of stating the obvious,

1. Has she checked that all the cables are properly attached.

2. That the monitor is plugged into the mains and switched on.(especially check that any on/off button on the front has not been accidentally hit and turned off the monitor)

3. That the brightness/contrast controls are not set too low causing the black screen.

I admit that these are very basic points but I have seen each and every one of them cause problems. All of them can accidentally happen when somone is trying to sort something.

Mike2002 16:48 21 Apr 06

justme: Right - I've got a little more info from her.

Seems like she's disabled the monitor driver somehow. She can boot to a command prompt and choose 'Safe Mode', but then the screen blanks out when windows starts to load. She can hear the system loading from the HDD but nothing from this stage on is visible.

There must be some way of getting into the system to reverse the setting, so as to restore it to how it was originally.

gudgulf 16:54 21 Apr 06

Some monitors need an ".inf" file which gives Windows information on the resolutions and refresh rates the monitor supports.....and also a colour profile so the monitor displays the colours correctly.

A true plug and play monitor will be detected by Windows correctly without the extra .inf and colour profiles.

When updating to XP did your daughter download the correct motherboard chipset drivers and graphics card drivers for XP as well?

I would suggest that either she has installed incorrect drivers or as the FE suggests disabled the monitor somehow.

One other thing to try is instead of using Safe Mode,boot to the menu from which you access Safe Mode and select "Enable vga mode" instead.This boots fully into Windows but with only vga graphics support......it gives you full access to Windows and thus more options to undo changes or install drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…