Daughter computer problems!

brambles 13:32 03 Dec 07

My daughter has an old Toshiba notebook which has 'expired' and PC World says it requires a new motherboard. What do I need to connect to my new Dell computer to retrieve some of the email data? PC World accessed it to copy the My Documents folder so obviously the disc is still OKJ and readable. Any recommendations appreciated
(as long as it's not too complicated)
Brambles

johnnyrocker 13:43 03 Dec 07

put old hard drive in a caddy ( not too expensive ) and connecy your usb on new machine and drag drop data across?

johnny

ventanas 13:46 03 Dec 07

Good idea

click here

Make sure you get the right size

brambles 14:14 03 Dec 07

Thanks ventanas + johnnyrocker for your prompt reply I do appreciate this. Where can I get some advice on taking the hard drive out? is this as easy as the connection details you have given. I thought as I was transferring from an XP machine to a Vista one I might be able to do a simple cable connection between the two machines?

Brambles

johnnyrocker 14:26 03 Dec 07

machine one does not work so you said?

johnny.

ventanas 14:34 03 Dec 07

Yep, if one machine won't work then you will not be able to transfer. You must remove the hdd and connect it externally. It will probably be underneath a screw down cover in the base of the machine. When removed you can place it into a caddy, but read any instructions supplied with it as you may need to change the master/slave setting. Then its just a matter of connecting the IDE cable and power supply inside the caddy.

brambles 14:35 03 Dec 07

Many thanks

Spark6 14:57 03 Dec 07

As a matter of interest, how did PCW access the emails on the 'dead' machine? If they managed to do this, and the machine is truly dead, I can understand why you thought it would be a simple cable between two machines. Ask the question at the relevant PCW store!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…