Up-dating my PC

Allan RISC OS user 16:29 11 Feb 10

HP Pavilion t580 UK AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0GHz),RAM1GB DDR. 2x120GB Hard Drives NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 256MB Video Memory
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.07, 13/03/2004 SMBIOS Version 2.3
Motherboard information unknown.

I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.

I would like to update to 4GB of RAM, but to accommodate this would mean a new Motherboard as only 1GB is supported.
Should I also upgrade the processor and if so to what as I am happy with the PC but it does seem a little slow and I think this is due to lack of RAM. I do not think I need a dual core processor.
Your views would be appreciated.

GaT7 17:10 11 Feb 10

The maximum you could possibly upgrade your CPU is a S754 3700+ (judging from the motherboard specs click here). Not only is this CPU unavailable to buy, but even if you manage to get one (off eBay for example) it's going to make little difference.

These days, almost all CPUs are dual-core, so it'll be difficult not to go for one.

If you're going to upgrade, you might as well upgrade the CPU, motherboard & RAM to make it worthwhile.

Have a look on CCLOnline click here & Novatech click here for bundles. It can be either AMD / Intel, but the motherboard needs to be mATX so it fits in your case. Also check if your PSU has the required 24-pin power connector (20-pin won't do). G

GaT7 17:17 11 Feb 10

Sorry, I forgot to say, that the motherboard is likely to come with only one IDE connector (supporting 2 IDE drives), so you'll also need to buy a SATA optical drive click here & an IDE-SATA power adapter click here or click here.

Your graphics card will become redundant too, as the new motherboard will have onboard graphics & a PCI-E slot. G

GaT7 17:32 11 Feb 10

Well, this is not looking good. Or, could be very good depending on how you look at it...

I had a closer look at your motherboard & it has a 20-pin connector - so would your PSU I'd imagine. Therefore, if you go for the new bundle, you'll need to get a PSU as well (I wouldn't consider a 20-24 pin cable adapter).

This could be a good excuse to get a new PC altogether. Let me know if this sounds OK & I'll provide a few examples. PCs start at ~£140 click here without an OS, but you have this already & it is the retail Win7 version (as against OEM) isn't it? G

Allan RISC OS user 18:38 12 Feb 10

Thanks for the info, the OS is OEM, and I had a new ATX Power Supply 420w fitted 2 weeks ago, Xilence XP 420.
Sounds like it could still be an expensive job what with the CPU,RAM, and Motherboard and new Optical drives.

ame 19:14 12 Feb 10

Allan RISC OS user:- the dangers of upgrading too rashly without thinking ahead....
Crossbow7:- the dangers of posting too quickly....we've all been there, but you got it right in the end :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…