Database PC.

neillieuk 23:50 11 May 06

I'm looking for a new pc mainly to run very large databases and wanted suggestions for spec, and the choice of processor. Not a real gaming machine, but will be running C&C on it.

Would Intel or AMD make any difference? Been told AMD alot better for games is that the same for Apps.

Taff™ 06:52 12 May 06

It really depends on what you mean by very large databases. Is this a business application? Give us some idea of the size of the databases.

For example, I ran a database for an engineering business that covered shop floor data (Route cards to CNC, CAD & Timesheets), customers & prospects (3000 details), quotations, orders, invoicing etc The database for all this was below 40 GB and backed up every day! There were 14 terminals throughout the building. It ran on a very basic server via the network. 512MB RAM, 1.8 Ghz processor under XP. You could beat the spec of thatmachine with a budget of less than £800 today.

neillieuk 10:57 12 May 06

Hi Taff, thx sounds like a powerful database.

The database would have several (about 30 tables) all linked with approx 100,000+ in one table and linked to another with over 1million records. These will pull data from the other tables to populate a large and complex query. Which performs several sub-queries.

The whole query process was taking alot of resources and thought it time to get a new pc.

Have been looking at a dual core processor, one processor running database, and the other running windows. Came up with following spec (well brief spec)

P4 D 930 (2 x 3ghz), 2 x 2mb cache.
2gig ram (DDR400),
High End Asus Motherboard,
Sata 200g hdd.

Is this spec good, or would AMD be better? and thoughts on Asus motherboard!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac