Database

parapilot 14:28 29 Jun 06

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me. I run clothing stores for a local youth cadet group. I am looking for a database so i can keep an inventory of the clothing i have in the stores, and then what clothing i have issued to cadets under their name. (once something is issued its subtracted from the inventory)

Also need it so when a item is given back it is added back onto the inventory so I know what we have in there, and what each cadet has.

I have looked on the microsoft site but couldn’t find anything. I have spent quite a while trying to make up my own but without success!

Does anyone have a database similar that they wouldn’t mind me using, or know the location of one? If not is there any good online access tutorials

Thank You.

silverous 15:02 29 Jun 06

You might find Excel a bit easier to use.
It sounds like a fairly straightforward requirement, but I appreciate if you don't know Access it might not be so straightforward.

I'm not sure about online tutorials but there are some good books out there.

As a starting point, I would think about what information you want to store - these would be the 'tables' in the database e.g.:

cadets (stores information about the cadets)

inventory (basically each item of clothing)

inventory_issued (a historical record of inventory, which cadet it was issued to and when, when it was returned etc.)

And that is probably it from what you've said?

You can then go into Access and start creating those tables.

I'd be happy to walk you through all these via email / here.

Belatucadrus 15:03 29 Jun 06

click here 100inventory may be worth a look and it's free.

Southernboy 17:55 29 Jun 06

a copy of Lotus SmartSuite 97 which is a great office suite and contains the Approach Database.
You are welcome to it, but I have to say that, while it will work with XP, it does have a problem with cross-tabulation with this OS.

Let me know if interested.

Kuya 18:06 29 Jun 06

I would have thought MS Access would be your best bet - if you can afford it!

Clint2 18:41 29 Jun 06

Open Office click here has a database and its free.

parapilot 20:57 29 Jun 06

Thanks everyone.

I have MS Access.

silverous - Thanks for the offer of help, much appreciated. I have made some tables, cadets, trousers, shirts, skirts. In the cadet table put some details in, name etc, and in the clothing tables put size and quantity. How do i now get the tables to work together, to allocate clothing to a named cadet, and also take 1 of the quantity?

Thanks
Jamie.

silverous 10:03 30 Jun 06

..I wouldn't have a separate table for trousers, skirts, shirts - then you will need to handle each of those clothing items with specific references to those tables instead of just one called 'clothes' or 'inventory'.

This is where you need a table called say "clothing_allocated" (or inventory_issued in my suggestions above).

I'm assuming on your clothing table(s) - you really should just get one, with a 'type' on it of Trouser, Shirts etc - you have a unique identifier? Do the items of kit have a 'number' ?

In your clothing_allocated table you have a field called say "clothing_id" which should have a lookup (the table design will have a "lookup wizard" as a type of field which will help you do this) to the clothing table.

The "clothing_allocated" table should also have a lookup to the cadet table. You probably want a date/time "out" field (for when it was given) and a date/time "returned" field for when you got it back also. Maybe a notes field or a "allocator" field for who was responsible.

Maybe you don't need a unique identifier for each item of clothing and counts are enough. In that case each item in your "clothing" table (of which there will be say one entry for each type of clothing if you don't store unique identifiers on the clothes) will have a count of items against it. When we later build a 'form' to allocate clothes we will simply put a macro/some logic on that form so when you book something out it decreases the count.

The way I was thinking originally if each item of clothing has a unique identifier and you input every one then you don't need a count because you can report exactly which items are booked out or not.

Some things to think about... let me know your thoughts. The key thing is to get the basic structure 'right' for your needs then we can worry about decreasing counts after.

silverous 22:51 09 Jul 06

Gone very quiet!

ArrGee 00:09 10 Jul 06

From what you are saying, Excel is perfectly fine. However, it is hard to determine the extent of future use. Are you looking for an accounts or CRM solution in the long run?

parapilot 00:12 10 Jul 06

Hi Silverous,

I had a go but couldnt get it to work. I'v gone back to the paper system!!! Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Jamie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…