Data Transfer and Operating System Change

shakes 11:13 14 Feb 05

I am buying a new pc and need to transfer my data across. My present operarting system is windows 2000 professional and the new PC will be XP. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

LeadingMNMs 11:19 14 Feb 05

Three main ways really.

Simply putting the files and some sort of media (CD-R probably) and copying them onto the other machine is the easiest.

Alternatively you could connect the two computers up with a crossover network cable and transfer them that way. Alot faster in theory, however if you've looked at this forum much you'll have noticed all the problems that people have with networks and there setup.

Another method, is to remove the hard drive from the old computer, plug it into the new one and transfer files that way. Obviously with this method you've got to be comfortable opening up both computers.

TomJerry 11:23 14 Feb 05

use a usb datalink cable costs under a tenner

USB2 version: £7.04 Ebuyer USB 2.0 Datalink Cable Retail Blister Pack click here

USB1 version: £5.28, Ebuyer USB File Transfer Cable For Data Communication 5MBPS Data Transfer Rate 2MTR Retail Box click here

you will not find any easier than this

TomJerry 23:24 14 Feb 05

no point to give any advice in future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…