Data transfer from old hard drive to new hard driv

bobbyalec 20:08 31 Jul 03

I have recently upgraded my tower with all new parts but my data on the old hard drive has not yet been transferred to the new one, due to my trusty computer friend being ill. The old one is lying waiting to be connected up for the transfer.
Have any back issues of PCAdvisor covered such an operation that I maybe could tackle myself? I have back issues as far as end of '99.
(I have installed cards into the back but nothing more serious!)

Anyone help, please?

Lú-tzé 20:41 31 Jul 03

Put the jumper settings on the old disk to "slave" and install it into your machine onto a spare IDE cable.

Then start your PC and windows should recognise it. After that you can copy it all from the old to the new.

While you have the old one in, it could be worth while formatting it and using it as a backup for data etc.

ade.h 23:50 31 Jul 03

Lu-tze - good tip about the backup drive; I use that method with a copy of Windows on it for quick changeover if the worst happens.

Bobbyalec - Are you using Win XP? If so, you could use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to port over.

popgeorge 09:24 01 Aug 03

Win Me
Hi,. Excuse me butting in, but I also propose installing a second hard drive. Could you expand on the method for copying. If you use a drag and drop would a program file be picked up on the register of the new drive.?

Lú-tzé 11:47 01 Aug 03

popgeorge - how best to install it depends on what you want to do with the second hdd.

If it is meant to replace the one that is there, it can be installed as slave, everything moved across (preferably with Norton Ghost in my opinion), then set as master and the original master removed.

If you just want it as a backup, then leave it in as slave and copy across what you want from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…