data transfer on network

madPentium 21:35 02 Feb 06

We have recently put a microsoft database on a pc and shared it to 3 other users. Its 24mb in size at the moment, but is expected to double in size in a very short time. It runs very fast on the host pc, but is quite slow to load on other machines. Network is running at 100, and all pcs are xp pro and intel processors all over 3 gig.
I was wondering if extra ram would maybe help? all pcs have 512mb.
Or, maybe the database should be on a seperate hard drive?

Softstag 22:31 02 Feb 06

I assume by Microsoft, you mean Microsoft Access?

Access is quite a bandwidth hungry application when used on a network. I would suggest if you are using a large database on a network that you look in to using SQL as this is much faster.

The limiting factor is the network, if you stick with Access then I would say the only way to improve performance is upgrade the network to Gigabit. More RAM will make no difference.

madPentium 16:27 03 Feb 06

thank you for your reply. Yes I was refering to MS Access. Do you know if SQL supports access files? or will the database have to be rewritten?

Softstag 23:02 06 Feb 06

Database would need to be rewritten. It is a completely different format, and much more powerful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009