Data Transfer By Internet?

dublincity 06:15 21 Jun 05

I'm running 2 PC's at the same time with a gismo that allows me to use 1 mouse, 1 keyboard and 1 monitor for both of them.

So far, I haven't been able to get the USB - USB data transfer system to work.

I can transfer data between the 2 PC's either via an external drive or by e.mailing zipped attachments so I haven't got a problem. However, I'm curious about the theory of transferring large files via the internet. I've spotted a few commercial companies that provide this service. Does anybody know of a free way that I might use to experiment with? Thanks.

Wak 08:20 21 Jun 05

Try this one.
click here

TomJerry 10:39 21 Jun 05

make sure you get correct cable, normal usb cable will not work

£6.67 Ebuyer USB 2.0 Datalink Cable Retail Blister Pack click here

pj123 10:51 21 Jun 05

Give your ISP a go? Most ISPs give free web space. You might be able to upload the files to and then download on the other PC?

leo49 11:12 21 Jun 05

click here

I've used the above in the past.

leo49 11:13 21 Jun 05

Sorry - didn't check Wak's link. Doh!

Completealias 15:01 21 Jun 05

Network the 2 pc's together with a crossover network cable you'll get up to 100Mbits/sec transfer with that and save the time of uploading to the net and downloading on the other

dublincity 16:36 21 Jun 05

Thanks - I'll study all that. I'm with Plusnet (Lite User tariff) & I think there's a monthly charge for storage. Just bought a few more bits with 'money back' assurances if I can't use 'em. I was also sold 2 network cards at Maplins plus some cable - 4.99 per item. I'll have a go ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…