DATA SPEED WITH WI FI INTERNET

elle2u 13:59 06 Mar 06

Hi

I am using an asus a6b00u laptop with sweex ADSL 11G modem router with ASUS WLAN CARD (802.11g network adapter) for wireless internet access.

Initially it connects no problem, excellent signal and data speed of 54Mbps. After some time however the data speeds falls dramatically to as low as 1Mbps and I`m no longer able to surf because it takes so long for pages to load. Disconnecting and reconnecting gets the speed back till it happens again, but this is very annoying.

I would like to know what controls the speed aspect or could this be because my connection is not secure? (WLAN card settings say security is off) Either way how can I fix it?

Thanks so much
Ell2u x

Danoh 01:38 07 Mar 06

If you do not have security set on, chances are that someone else nearby (1 - 2 houses away) is hitching a ride on your wireless network and stealing all your bandwidth. Which will cause the symptoms you have described.

Set security up on your Router (see other threads in this forum as to how) a.s.a.p.

Even if this still reoccurs, you have eliminated the major loophole for all wireless networks. The next common culprits are devices which operate on or near the wireless network's frequencey (2.4Ghz). Common devices are cordless DECT phones and base stations too close to the wireless router or PC wireless cards/aerials. And microwave ovens.

The above assumes that neither the router nor wireless client PCs are moved around, nor some metal obstacles are moved to block the radio transmissions between the router and client PCs.

elle2u 21:28 07 Mar 06

Thanks for your input. I have had a look at some of the threads and tried enabling WEP as it looked the easiest to do initially. I couldn`t get it to work with the wep keys set so I had to put it back to default again.
I`ll have another go when I have more time to spend on it.

Thanks again

Danoh 23:06 07 Mar 06

Assuming someone or some people are hopping onto your wireless connection, and while you get round to switching WEP/WPA on, seriously consider;
> changing your SSID
> renewing your laptop's wireless setup to have a new one for the new SSID
> and then disabling the SSID broadcast

That way, opportunistic bandwidth stealers can't see your wireless network easily and can't hop on.

The next line of defence, should they still be able to hop on, is WEP or WPA security with password/key encryption of data being transmitted. (I actually think WPA is easier to set up then WEP, where you might have to use hexidecimal values for the password.)

Remember that the surest way to reset router settings is to connect up with an Ethernet cable again; not all settings require this, but for easy of explanation, do this by default before moving on to change the settings on your wireless client PCs (i.e. Laptop).

On my own router's security log, I have noticed DoS (denial of service) probes on occasions. As I have set my router not to respond to "pings" or probes, the automated process does not get a confirmation that my router exists. So they go away after a few seconds or at most 1 minute of probing.

A DoS "flood" attack will also slow down your wireless performance as well.
Your router might refer to it as "WAN Ping Blocking" or "ICMP Ping Blocking".

ade.h 22:00 08 Mar 06

Use WPA and enable MAC filtering to restrict wireless clients to only those that you have expressly permitted.

WEP can be cracked by anyone with a bit of knowledge and the right software.

elle2u 22:15 11 Mar 06

Thanks so much for your help.
I`m completely new to wi fi so please excuse my stupidity! Can you tell me how to go about changing the SSID etc.
I can view the SSID while I`m connected in the configuration window for the WLAN card settings. A button there allows me to clear the history of SSID settings so I did this but thats as far as I`ve got so far. what next? Do I need to set up the wi fi from scratch again?

ade.h 23:26 11 Mar 06

SSID is changed in the router config interface.

Open a browser - in this case, you are adjusting a setting that relates to the wireless output, so you MUST use PC that is wired to the router for this particular task. Enter the usual number in the address bar and enter your usual interface password. (Haven't passworded the interface? That's a must-do for security).

Danoh 23:33 12 Mar 06

You might find this existing thread useful reading click here

There are also many others in the Networking forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac