Data slow being sent/received internet

Bretster 13:13 24 Feb 03

Hi I recently had to re-install Windows XP and all the drivers on my home PC. All works fine except for the internet. When I connect, it is still at the same speed as before - 48 kbps - but it takes an age just to load a simple page of imformation - more often than not it crashes out. Someone suggested I reset my TCP/IP??? which I did but this did not help. I recently got an error message reading "MSIMN.EXE - Application Error: The instruction at 0x77f5215e referenced memory at 0x007f4e4c. The memory could not be written" I don't know if this is relevant. Please please any help would be appreciated

jazzypop 13:21 24 Feb 03

msimn.exe is the file that starts Outlook Express.

One possibility is that there is a shared component between this and Internet Explorer that is causing the difficulty.

To remedy, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Software, click on Outlook Express, click Remove. You will then be given the option to Repair, which you should take.

Then do the same for Internet Explorer

Another possibility is that you previously had SP1 installed, and have not yet re-installed SP1. Did you do a 'repair' re-install of XP, or a format and install from a clean disk?

Finally, going to Start > Run and typing

SFC /SCANNOW

with the XP CD in the drive will allow XP to repair / replace any corrupted files that may be causing your difficulties.

Bretster 14:38 24 Feb 03

It was a format and install from a clean disk. Thanks for the advice - will try them when I get home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…