Data Recovery Software

recap 10:15 27 May 06

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for data recovery software that can recover deleted documents and emails from a W2k machine.

The cost for this software should not be a problem, as the data that has been deleted is worth more than the software.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

recap

Gongoozler 10:27 27 May 06

I think Ontrack is possibly the market leader here click here, but the data will only be recoverable if it hasn't been overwritten.

DieSse 11:20 27 May 06

Emails are a different case to Word Documents.

Emails (depending on the email client you use) are stored in a database, not as individual files. Deleting them does not in itself remove them from the datbase. You can try opening the database folder with Wordpad, and looking to see if the mails are still there.

It may be possible to give better advice if we know what email client you're using.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:16 27 May 06

File recovery :-
Badcopy Pro click here
CDCheck click here
Disk Investigator click here
PCInspector click here
R_Studio click here
Easyrecovery click here
Testdisc click here
Drive Rescue click here

recap 20:24 27 May 06

Thanks all for your responses.

Gongoozler, Ontrack looks just what we are looking for.

DieSse, the mail client is Outlook Express. I tried opening the .dbx files without any success.

terryf 20:27 27 May 06

I seem to remember recovering dbx files then importing them into OE but remember that the imported folder will over-write existing of same name so rename existing

DieSse 21:27 27 May 06

*I tried opening the .dbx files without any success.*

You mean you can't open them, or the emails you need are not there?

Did you look in the Deleted dbx file also?

terryf 01:12 28 May 06

In OE got to file>import>messages and then import your dbx file but see my post above about renaming existing

Gongoozler 08:13 28 May 06

If you have OE messages that you want to recover, search for the dbx files. You can either use Windows Explorer to search for *.dbx, or in OE click on Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder to find the location of the files. Then copy all the dbx files to a convenient folder - I create a folder specially for the job. Then use DBXtract click here or a more modern version click here. This will read the messages directly from within the files. Note that one of the files FOLDERS.DBX is used by OE to decode the messages so although it's not needed by DBXtract if it's corrupted OE can't read the messages.

recap 16:04 29 May 06

DieSse, sorry I should have explained further. The .dbx file I tried to open in Notepad & Wordpad could not be opened.

When trying to open them, I was presented with the usuall file association not on this computer (or word to that effect), and was presented with a web page to track down an appropriste file associated program.

terryf, thanks for that word of caution.

Gongoozler, your second link may be what I require for the email part.

DieSse 16:34 29 May 06

*When trying to open them, I was presented with the usuall file association not on this computer*

Choose Wordpad when asked for an association - you get a humungous file, full of control charcters - but also with the email text embedded in it.

DBextract is worth trying also, and some other similar programs.

I've used both ways in the past, and each has worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…