Data Recovery

Quickbeam 17:00 17 Oct 04

While adding a new HDD I've lost some data in the copy over process. One drive that was copied completely & was visible with the drives in there original position (5 partitions) is now shown in Partition Magic as unallocated space and remains labeled as such even when replaced in the system where it was copied to. I've not done anything silly like deleting or formatting, so why does the system show it as unallocated??? If it's a disater, does anyone know of the best program to use to recover with.

Diemmess 18:13 17 Oct 04

Not very clear what you have actually done.

It seems to me that you intended to partition and format the new HD and then copy the contents of each old "drive" to a partition on the new one. Somehow you have lost everything from on the old partition?

If that is so, then I think you may have confused Disk 1 with Disk 2 at some stage.

Whatever the cause, I think you might just have a very slim chance of recovery if you use Partition Magic again and select the "unallocated space" and try to allocate it as FAT32 or whatever that drive was intended to be. Of course when you have done this, DO NOT Format that drive.

I'm fairly sure that you will have to stay with Partition magic for this. It is normally a reliable program and to change horses at this stage will only confirm the disaster.

Quickbeam 19:32 17 Oct 04

Yeah Diemmess... thats whats happened. I copied my old HD data onto the new one... all seemed well as I could see the data on both drives. However when I removed the old HD & put the new one in it's place, it's no longer seen in explorer & P Magic says it's all unallocated space. When I replaced the old HD in the same position that also is the same. I've looked at the contents via a data recovery program & it's on the disk but I'm not confident to risk doing it myself (these programs don't make it to clear what your supposed to do with the viewed data). The problem I see with your suggestion is that I have several partitions to recover & don't think I should alter anything that may involve an element of rewriting to disk. Also with the price of recovery programs I think I would be as well to let the local PC shop sort it out... what do you think?... I'd rather not lose anything...

VoG II 20:22 17 Oct 04

Try running Drive Rescue click here off a floppy.

DoctorButcher 20:25 17 Oct 04

Or try this if VoG's suggestion fails...

click here

Quickbeam 22:21 17 Oct 04

Thanks VoG™ & DoctorButcher... I've been trying these freebies for a couple of hours but they don't show all the lost data... the one I've found that shows the data that's important to me is 'GetDataBack for FAT' from click here This one will cost $69... do you know anything about this one... any good?

Peter 23:52 17 Oct 04

You could try MBRWork which is available free from click here. It may be able to recover your lost partitions.

Peter.

Peter 23:54 17 Oct 04

A bit more info about MBRWork.

MBRWork - Freeware utility to perform some common and uncommon MBR functions.

It can perform the following:

1 - Backup the first track on a hard drive.

2 - Restore the backup file.

3 - Reset the EMBR area to all zeros.

4 - Reset the MBR are to all zeros.

5 - Install standard MBR Code

6 - Set a partition active (avail on the command line too)

7 - Work with multiple hard drives.

8 - Remove EZ-Drive (You must boot directly to a diskette (by passing ez-drive) for this option to show)

9 - Capability Check - Currently the only check is how the system handles unaligned partitions. This is useful for users of BootIt.

A - If no partitions exist in the MBR and no EMBR exists then this option will allow you to recover lost FAT, HPFS, NTFS, and Extened partitions.

Be sure to visit terabyteunlimited.com for more great software!

Have Fun!

Quickbeam 19:54 18 Oct 04

Thanks Peter for your late night response... just seen it now... I went to bed early with mental exaustion! Am looking at your fix now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…