data protection act

roi 00:01 01 Sep 03

Now this is interesting!

I have received the following message:
"Data protection - computer users. When we send email messages we often copy the message to another person. A warning has been issued that we risk being reported to the Information Commissioner as we could be breaking the terms of the Data Protection Act. Under this legislation, it is forbidden to publish and share other people?s email addresses unless they have given permission.

The answer is to use the "blind copy" facility which is in all email programmes."

I'm not convinced about this. If we send official snail mail, and copy it, then all recipients can see the copy addressees - and all data (not just e-data) is now covered by the data protection act. However, whenever I broadcast the odd e-joke, or forward mail which I have received, I do make a point of removing all addresses on the original, and sending the material on as bcc.

Anyone else heard this?

hugh-265156 02:24 01 Sep 03

never heard that before.click here seems to back this up.

-pops- 07:15 01 Sep 03

If this is real then it's yet another silly rule impossible to implement.

The courts are already stuffed to bursting point with so called "celebrities" suing newspapers and magazines and other, similar, daft timewasters. To attempt to charge and then try every person who does as you suggest is ludicrous beyond imagination.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…