Data from old PC to new PC

montyburns 21:41 23 Nov 03

A friend has just bought a new PC and wants to swap data from his old one to it. The new one is XP and the old is Windows98 (not sure of make/model/spec)
I had the same dilemma a year ago. Tried various cable links with no joy (although it turned out I was trying to do it using a printer cable and this was not a lot of use!) In the end I did most of it using Zip discs as I had an external drive available for both PCs)

My mate hasn't got this luxury (and I only have one now) I could lend him that but 2 is better and besides, the drive is USB which wouldn't be a lot of use on 98(?)

So, is there any tip here? Or is he forced to use floppies (luckily I don't think there's any huge files)

Quiller. 21:57 23 Nov 03

Well one of the usual ways is to burn the old data on to a cdr and transfer it that way. This needs a cdrw drive in the old system.

If this is not available, then one of the other ways is to take out the old hard drive from the computer. Change the jumper setting on the old hard drive to slave and connect it to the new system. Your friend could then drag and drop all the files off his old hard drive that he wanted. It would not matter that the new computer is running x\p, whether the file system is ntfs or fat32, the x\p disk will see it.

To make the connection in the new computer it would mean slotting in the old hard drive into a spare bay next to the new hard drive. Connecting a spare IDE ribbon cable and the power connector. There should be a spare one of each in the new computer. It would then need booting up. Windows will either see it straight away or it may need a trip to disk management to see the drive.

montyburns 22:07 23 Nov 03

Personally this is the way I'd go now, but my mate is even more cautious than me, and I can guess that there's no way he'd agree to the back coming off! (Well, he might, but his wife wouldn't!)

Also, I'm sure there's no CDR drive. So it's either floppies or maybe a cable connection. It might be easier just to stick to floppies..

britto 22:14 23 Nov 03

Can he network the pc's and put files in a shared folder for transfer?

Quiller. 22:15 23 Nov 03

It would be possible to link the machines if both have a network card in, but it would need a crossover cable and the installation of network software. All the software would be on the X\P disk, that's if it's a full copy and not a restore disk. I don't know if a restore disk would have this feature. It could be done and would transfer the data.

One of the other options would be to transfer the data via USB, this would mean that the old machine would need a USB port. Not much good if it ain't got one. If it is only USB 1 then you would only get about 16Mb per sec.

I have never tried the USB way, but have heard that it does work. It may be nice if any forum member has transfered this way to give there experiences. :)

Quiller. 22:16 23 Nov 03

Snap ;)

Raquelmanny 22:53 23 Nov 03

My father recently bought a new computer I suggested a USB backup drive to tranfers all his files and data. He said it was brilliant and so simple to use.
Got some really cheap ones on the dabs website.

temp003 02:43 24 Nov 03

Your external USB Zip drive will work on Windows 98 (even first edition), provided his old PC has a USB port. His new PC will definitely have USB ports. Better than using floppies which are really too small. If he needs to back up things like his email folders in OE, the floppies are not going to be much use.

csc 14:10 24 Nov 03

If both computers have USB ports, you can buy transfer cable with software. Load software on both computers and connect cable to USB port on each computer. Each computer will open up two screens displaying windows explorer and you can drag and drop folders/files from one computer to another. Works well and shouldn't take too long

tykesunited 15:47 24 Nov 03

Have you tried PC Linq.
It is a USB cable bridge.
Install PC Linq software on both PC's and connect them using the USB cable.

coinneach 14:44 04 May 05

Nobody's mentioned using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Xp. The Wizard itself, the Microsoft websites and umpteen other sites suggest that you should use a serial cable with floppies or other portable discs.
My daughter's in exactly the same positon as Montyburn's friend and I'm supposed to be advising her! When she placed her order with Mesh for the new PC, the salesman recommended that she simply connected the two computers via a USB to USB cable. Is this a proven option? CSC seems to confirm this, but why the additional software?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…