data miner spyware what is it?

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 12:26 31 May 03

i have just run adware 6 after installing the update and it has found alot of files/cookies/reg entries called 'data miner' what are these? i hold a great hatred for people putting these things on my computer are they legally allowed to do it and what do these files do in particular the data miner file (it sounds dreadfull like they are digging in my computer for information)

thanks

Terrahawk 12:33 31 May 03

data miner is a tracking cookie it doesnt record personnal information it keeps an eye on your web movements for targeted advertising just zap it

Wes Tam ;-) 12:40 31 May 03

Stop the cookies getting on your PC by using something like Outpost free from click here

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 15:54 31 May 03

i have zonealarm firewall is there any way of setting this to stop this cookie?

SEASHANTY 16:17 31 May 03

You can stop 'cookies' by using the options in your web browser. Just click on - tools - internet options - then follow the cookie options through from there. The trouble with completely disabling cookies is that some web pages will not load unless you allow them to place a cookie on your PC. You must find the happy medium that suits you. You can always remove all cookies at the end of your internet session.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:22 31 May 03

Firewalls will not stop cookies.

The data miner ones are totally harmless and you can delete them at the end of your session or monthly. They will not affect your computers' performance in any way nor will they give out personal info.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:23 31 May 03

Firewalls will not stop cookies.

The data miner ones are totally harmless and you can delete them at the end of your session or monthly. They will not affect your computers' performance in any way nor will they give out personal info.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:29 31 May 03

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

G

Wes Tam ;-) 16:56 31 May 03

GANDALF <|:-)> Outpost Firewall has a plug-in called Active Content which allows you to block cookies of your choice (+ many other things like Active-X, pop-ups etc).

Wes Tam ;-) 17:02 31 May 03

ps GANDALF <|:-)> if you do an internet search for 'data miner' you will find a myriad of companies which devise ways of extracting data from your PC.

ΆØL HåLeR was right when he said "like they are digging in my computer for information". That's just what they're doing.

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 22:02 31 May 03

is this spyware illegal? how can they be allowed to invade my computer without my knowledge isnt it like hacking?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…